Swell Panik

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Back to Swell Panic's video..
Don't know if you guys noticed but there are inserts on the crib this guy uses to profile his core. He seems to be making the inserts holes prior the shaping the thickness and uses those holes to position the core correctly (and I believe to also prevent any movement) while profiling.

I might be considering giving another try to the planer/crib method... Just need to make a nice crib.
For me the router bridge method with vacuum table gave some pretty good results, except a couple time when the router bit started to loosen up and chew the core more than expected... ooops !
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
Alex13

Post by Alex13 »

I hadn't noticed that, but that's a really good idea. Good work picking up on that Ben.

I'll probably move to the planer/crib style next year, when I don't have uni's CNC to steal for cores.
falls

Post by falls »

I think he uses the inserts to hold the core down into the contour of the crib because he is using a thickness sander. The sander doesn't have the pressure rollers like a thicknesser to push the core down. So he has to have the core prepositioned in the crib then the big sanding belt makes the parallel pass.

actually just watched again and i cant see any screws holding the core down using the inserts. maybe they are just for positioning.

when he is waxing the mold the cameraman asks him if it is like greasing the tin with "beurre" when making a "gateau"!
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....