Swell Panik

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MontuckyMadman

Swell Panik

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Great vid. Thought it deserved its own thread in here. Thanx richuck for posting it before.

http://www.swellpanik.com/uk/

couple questions.

What do you suppose he puts on the top of the veneer?
at 12:05 in the vid it jumps to layup.
What the hell is he saying?

Light glass? If so what type and weight?
Silk? Didn't see any that clean at my local fabric shop.
Acetate?
Polyester?
Nylon?
Something else?

Will this do anything to help chipping on my veneer topsheet skis?

I would love to get some superclear topsheet like skilogik uses.
http://www.skilogik.com/construction.html

I bought some samples of different fabrics to test.

Notice he doesn't prewet the vds. makes it allot easier to deal with I bet.
OAC

Post by OAC »

I also enjoy the video. And have no clue what he is saying.
I'm fascinated by the belt sander! Does the job. I didn't know they existed. That would be something instead of the brutal planer!

Isn't it just epoxy and light glass as you say?
falls

Post by falls »

the wood working shop where I use the planer also has a thickness sander. Might have to try it out instead of the planer.
It is basically a conveyer belt on the bottom that feeds the wood through against a belt of sandpaper running the opposite direction.
You would have to be really careful to have the core secured to your crib otherwise it could pretty spectacularly spit it back out at you!
I remember reading that PM gear used a CNC sander one year to profile their cores and it did a really good job.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
OnDeck

Re: Swell Panik

Post by OnDeck »

MontuckyMadman wrote: I would love to get some superclear topsheet like skilogik uses.
Honestly not a huge fan of their look, but I like their style and the construction seems solid. I love the look of that clear topsheet. You think it's a actual sheet of soemthing, or a coating? Whatever they do, they mnage to keep it really glossy.
Alex13

Re: Swell Panik

Post by Alex13 »

OnDeck wrote:
MontuckyMadman wrote: I would love to get some superclear topsheet like skilogik uses.
Honestly not a huge fan of their look, but I like their style and the construction seems solid. I love the look of that clear topsheet. You think it's a actual sheet of soemthing, or a coating? Whatever they do, they mnage to keep it really glossy.
I really want to learn how to do those veneer inlays, a really awesome look to them I think.
sammer

Post by sammer »

Before the swell panik vid I always wondered if you could use veneer tape on your veneers or if it would be obvious on the finished ski.
Also I love how he cuts his tip spacer right on top of his layup, brushes off the bits with the back of his hand, then carries on.

Wish I spoke french. I'd love to know what he's jabbering on about :)

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

no I don't like the skilogic look at all except for this one.
I am pretty sure its a clear topsheet.

Image]

duraclear from crown? or another name brand we can't get because you have to buy 200m of the stuff?
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

No topsheet, at the beginning he says it's just varnish over the veneer.
I keep watching :p
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

The way he uses VDS caught my eye too - I know its generally considered to be a gasket, but put between two sticks of wood and it dampens the resultant vibration when given a thwhack. This leads me to wondering if there is an observable difference between pre-soaked/saturated VDS and unsaturated?

Not actually laminated a piece of VDS between two sticks yet - but will do at some point. Maybe Alex has done this?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

unless you put a crap load of vds in your skis damping will not be discernible. Its a sheer layer to prevent 2 very hard things from delamming.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Yep - that's what all the treads say.

So, assuming its not because he's just being lazy, the alternate view could be that to retain the properties of the rubber as a shear layer, it is important not to saturate the VDS. Otherwise its just a layer of epoxy impregnated rubber, which is not very elastic.
Alex13

Post by Alex13 »

I've got VDS acting as a damping medium in one of my boards. I haven't ridden nor tested it yet, only came out of the press yesterday. I'll post up results when I have them.

The VDS is running in the direction of the second torsional mode. For non engineers don't worry about the terminology; what's important is when I test it, I can determine the effect the VDS has on vibrations by comparing it to a board that is otherwise identical without the VDS, and give you guys some info that you can use in your own designs. Basically, whether the VDS has any realistic effect on damping or not.

Getting a bit off topic here sorry.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

But that rubber doesn't absorb epoxy right? Just coats it for better bonding.

he definitely lays something on the veneer. 3 or 4 oz glass perhaps?
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

MontuckyMadman wrote:But that rubber doesn't absorb epoxy right? Just coats it for better bonding.

he definitely lays something on the veneer. 3 or 4 oz glass perhaps?
Probably more like 2oz. fibreglast claims that 2oz cures transparent.
http://www.fibreglast.com/product/2_oz_ ... ass_Fabric

I have always loved his boards. Some day I may buy one just for the hell of it.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

You' the man. I was there last night but didn't find that light stuff.

Guess Ill give it a go.