CAD

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MonkeyButt

CAD

Post by MonkeyButt »

I know next to nothing about CAD so this may be a dumb question... but here goes. Since I know little or nothing about it...is there any way to get away without a CAD program or is it the only way to get the precision needed?

Also, I do not have a big printer. Is it possible just to make the design and print it on several sheets of regular paper and piece them togeather??
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

i'm sure it's possible to get precision without using CAD, but it would take a lot more effort. it's difficult to draw large accurate arcs (such as the camber and sidecut) without the aid of some program. there a ton of CAD programs that are very easy to use after you mess around with them a little. you just need them to draw lines so there isn't a lot of detailed functions you need to learn.

for the printing - it's definitely possible to print a full scale drawing over multiple sheets. i use turbocad for it. here are some basic instructions.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

You could probably draw the shape out by hand. Draw out the tip, waist and tail widths and connect the dots using a long thin strip of wood or plastic. Hold it in place with a few nails or pins and it should give you a nice even curve.

I've found that it is a real pain to make a full size template out of smaller sheets of paper. Even with registration marks, a little inaccuracy in lining up the sheets causes a noticable curve or wavyness over the length of the ski. What is much easier and more accurate is to get banner paper from an office supply store. You will have to set some custom paper sizes and play around with printer settings. Note: not all printers can handle banner paper, my HP does not, but my dell does.

-kelvin
MonkeyButt

Post by MonkeyButt »

For some reason Turbo Cad would not let me install it... any other easy to use recommendations???
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

Greg

Cad

Post by Greg »

I use a program called Smart Sketch that works pretty well, I think it has a free demo as well
o2bjedi

Post by o2bjedi »

is there drawing software i can buy at best buy for pretty cheap?
Bertborge

Post by Bertborge »

I have tryd SnowCad and it seemsto work, and it was easy to work whit.

http://www.grafsnowboards.com/snoidx.htm
Åke Ökar!!!
ILOVE2SKI

Post by ILOVE2SKI »

Bertborge wrote:I have tryd SnowCad and it seemsto work, and it was easy to work whit.

http://www.grafsnowboards.com/snoidx.htm
A lot of good stuff on that website!