boot center position

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

breid19

boot center position

Post by breid19 »

I've been reading postings on this site that recommend a 200/250 ratio of base area behind and in front of the boot center. Does this ratio only include the "running areas" and not the areas of the tip and tail?

thanks

bill
hose-man

Post by hose-man »

When mounting a few pair of skis yesterday we compaired the factory mounting points between a few pair of skis. The measurement we took was a simple percentage of length infront of the factory mounting line.

The skis had from 53%-58% of their length ahead of the mounting line.

The skis were Volkl Gotama, Scott P4, Head MoJo90, K2 Seth

There is no formula for figuring the mounting points. You just have to take a bunch of measurements and then make a guess. This is particularly true with mounting tele bindings. Its a really just a guess in the end.
endre

Post by endre »

55% running length in front of boot center (the ski without tips) is typical mounting position, but can very well be down to 50% on jib skis.
when you give the number 58% hose-man, i suppose you measure chord length (from tip to boot center)? I very seldom see skis with more than 57% front ski (running length to boot center).

In my oppinion we should just stop measuring chord length, the whole point of chord length mounting tele skis vanished when manufacturers started experimenting with all kinds of tip shapes.
endre

Post by endre »

Actually, when i checked my numbers, Gotama is one of those very few skis with 57% front ski. P4 had 53,2%, Seth had 55,2% I never tested the Mojo90. (All skis are 2007)
Cadman

Post by Cadman »

Since the ski companies and binding companies are coming out with rail systems on alot of the skis these days, I would think that they could redesign the bindings so the toe and heel could be moved together for
say 2-3 cm forward and aft to make up the differences that different sized
boots and ski lengths make when it comes to getting the optimal mounting position for each person.

The average sized boot (27.5 or size 9-10 mens) has a difference of around 2.5 inches from boot center to the ball of the foot. If you go by the rule of boot center on the waist and or ball on the Mid Running length,
then the waist of the ski should be some where around 2.5-3 inches difference. The problem crops up when someone has a much smaller foot
or a much larger foot. Being 1cm off on the binding mount can make a big difference in the way the ski performs. As the running lengths become larger or smaller the percentage difference between the MRS and the waist changes. Each person has a certain distance that they should measure on their foot and make that their optimal mounting position.

I know that ski manufacturers design their skis on averages and those of us that are not average should readjust the positions so the ski performs
correctly. Most ski shops have no clue as to getting the optimal position
so you are stuck with where the boot ends up on the ski.

I think it is time to lobby the binding companies to pursue the adjustable
mounting position. It sure would take all the guess work out mounting bindings.
G-man

Post by G-man »

Hey hoseman,

A little off topic, but, congrats on the new family addition!

G-man
Alex

Post by Alex »

For skis designed for soft snow conditions (and especially those with more exotic sidecut) i still think the method of calculating areas before and behind the mounting point is quite suiteable. 42-43% area behind the mounting point proved to be working well.
Buuk

Post by Buuk »

For my first pair I did make some calculations on the surface area in front and behind the ski binding. I wrote it in the small program MatLab. Please let me know if anyone of you is interested.

Buuk
Make things as simple as possible, but not too simple