Foam Core Ski....i.e Bitchen Camaro

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Dr_Jeff

Foam Core Ski....i.e Bitchen Camaro

Post by Dr_Jeff »

Hey Guys,

Been lurking on the site for about a year....Great site and you keep my stoke meter pegged on high through the summer. I'm moving soon and I'm planning on getting a place with enough space to start building my own homegrown skis....

Now, here'e my request....Come on Kam's !!!! I've been checking every day for the past 3 weeks hoping you'd update or write an article on the foam cores...

I like the idea of wood core, sandwich construction, but for a pair of BC skis the foam seems ideal....I'm just wondering how it compares both performance wise, weight wise, and ease of manufacture wise with wood....

Please don't leave me hanging..

-J
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

I've been waiting to hear about the foam skis as well :D

I'm sure Kelvin's still testing them out and will report on them soon.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

Sorry for the delay on the foam core info. I haven't tested them yet, but will this weekend...with brand new 7tm Power tours! :D

-kelvin
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

Dr_Jeff: here's some info

http://www.skibuilders.com/gallery/deorbit.shtml

we'll write more after the test ride...
Dr_Jeff

Thanks...

Post by Dr_Jeff »

Looking foward to reading more...

How is the foam to work with in comparison to wood? I.e. ease of profiling, bonding side walls, etc?

So my admission here is that I know almost nothing about foam...I know that there are multiple densities made of many different materials, and if my knowlede from camping pads holds true there are both open and closed-cell varieties...

How did you find/choose the foam you used? Are there different densities that would affect the flex characterisitics or is that primarily determined by the fiberglass/carbonfiber/titanal (not sure if you'd want to use titanal in a ski designed to be light)...

Thanks for updating...can't wait to hear more. Give me another 6 to 8 months and I'll finally get my shop up and running....

-J
East_Coast_Style

Post by East_Coast_Style »

im just curious to why you would build a foam ski that is sandwhich construction? wouldnt it be far more effective to use a torsion box type construction? the fiberglass is the main structural feature in foam core skis, and 3d fiberglass shapes yeild a much stronger structure. that veneer is gorgeous though!
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

I posted a trip report of the foam cores here:
http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... =3310#3310

-kelvin