home | about | howto | articles | SB gallery | user gallery | forum | links  

 



Miscellaneous

weight: n/a
tipspacer: 
inserts: none
width of wood core strips:  n/a
epoxy:  QCM; resin: EMV-0049; hardener: ECA – 408 (45 minute set); 4 to 1 mixing ratio
bladder pressure
:  40 psi
duration of pressing:  heated press ( see our heated press) -  110-degrees F for 1 hour, then 170-degrees F for 30 minutes followed by room temperature cool underpressure.

Graphics - wood veneer coated with epoxy

Builder -   Kelvin Wu

Date Manufactured - October 1, 2006

Comments (by Kelvin Wu)

I liked the dimensions and the shorter length of the Bitchin’ Camaros, so I used the same templates for these skis. I also wanted to make a pair of lightweight backcountry oriented skis by using a foam core.

The skis turned out very light, but also quite stiff. Some of the stiffness is from the carbon fiber, but even towards the tips and tails, where there is no CF, it is still very stiff.

I intended to put an extra layer of triaxial fiberglass under the bindings to help the screws hold, but ended up forgetting during layup. Hopefully the bindings will hold.

Test Ride: November 20, 2006, Alpental (by Kelvin Wu)

Chris, Daniel and I set out for an early morning dawn patrol at the closed Alpental ski area. 8" of fresh light snow added to the excitement of the first test of the Deorbit Burn foam core skis and the 7tm power tour bindings. Immediately, I noticed the skis are quite light even with the heavy 7tms compared to my other skis. The overall weight with bindings doesn't feel that much different than the Bitchin' Camaro's with Hammerhead bindings, but these skis felt much lighter on foot, probably because of the low swing weight. The skis and the power tour bindings made skinning much easier. At first, I was a bit skeptical of the new tour type telemark bindings, but now I'm a believer. It makes skinning more efficient and breaking trail much easier. Unfortunately, I'm still a slug skinning though.

Once at the midpoint of the mountain, the sun started to rise and the clouds parted; time to turn around and head back down. 1st turn-ok, 2nd turn-rrriiip. Oh oh. It sounded like velcro ripping, but looking down at my right ski, the entire top delaminated from tip to tail.

I tried to duct tape it back together, just to get back to the car. It took about 1 turn to rip the duct tape off and soon after the left ski delaminated the same way as the right ski.

Crap. 1000 vf of fresh snow on a bluebird day, and I have to post hole my way down to the car.

A few of notes about the breakage:

  1. A binding plate would have helped and maybe minimize the damage.

  2. The foam bond doesn't seem all that strong. If you look at the above image, there is a thin (~.3mm) layer of foam that separated from the rest of the core. This is as far as the epoxy penetrated and it sheared right at that junction.

  3. The ski held together at the tips and tail because of the tip and tail spacers. I guess it's back to the drawing board. Not much to do now but to practice your archery.

For more info, read the thread in the forum.

 

  home | about | copyright | disclaimer | contact
© SkiBuilders.Com. All Rights Reserved