Bladder diameter

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

elkabomb7

Bladder diameter

Post by elkabomb7 »

Hello ski builders,

I just picked up a fire hose long enough to go across the press twice. The bladder is only 4.5” in diameter without air. I have not inflated the fire hose yet not knowing its diameter with air. My press diameter is 15”. Will the bladder be large enough or would you suggest buying another hose concluding with three fire hoses going across the press?

Thanks guys!
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

3 at least.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Are you using a cattrack? If you only had two lengths of hose, with a cattrack, and lets say you left ~1" of space for the hose to fill, you're going to have something on the order of say ~8" of hose contact. Sounds like enough to me?
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

^^^^eh, it depends on what pressure you are going for.

Doesn't sound like nearly enough IMO.
elkabomb7

Post by elkabomb7 »

I am planning on using a cat track. Are there any websites you would recommend where I could order a fire hose that is ~4.5" in diamater and approximately 7 feet long? I have been looking and it hard to find a website that sells be the foot.
elkabomb7

Post by elkabomb7 »

Thinking of ordering from McMaster Carr
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Mcmaster Carr gets a good chunk of all of my paychecks... It's like a candy store for the DIY hobbyist.
elkabomb7

Post by elkabomb7 »

I mismeasured the fire hose diamater; both bladders are 4" in diamater deflated. I am going to order another fire hose that is 4" in diamater from McMaster Carr. So I am going to end up using 3 bladders that are 4" in diamater across a 16" diameter press frame. I'm hoping this will be good enough!!

NinetyFour

Three wide

Post by NinetyFour »

Tell me how it works out for you elk. I was given some free, serviceable, extruded 3 inch diameter firehose. I could make a 15 inch bladder. Thinking about using it, but I think I would prefer two 5 inch diameter hoses.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Even if you only have a 1" gap for the hoses to inflate in your contact patch is going to be tiny. Like 6" maybe, if you have 3 hoses. You'll be lucky to get 50% pressure at the laminate. Therefore, if you're inflated at 80 psi, you will be lucky to get 40 psi at the laminate. 40 is ok, but you better make sure your bladder and fittings will be able to handle 80.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

50 psi no gaps flat is what you want no gaps and flat
Last edited by MontuckyMadman on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
falls

Post by falls »

???
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....