Need Opinion - Found a Reichmann Base Grinder

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

switzch

Need Opinion - Found a Reichmann Base Grinder

Post by switzch »

Was at the local junk yard and by chance happened to stumble upon a Reichmann base grinder (wet sander)... I can pick up the machine for a couple hundred which seems like it might be a good idea but I dont know anything about it. Not sure if it turns on, not sure whats its worth new, used, ect... From what I can tell its missing the feed wheel which looks like it would mount on the top bracket near the main motor.

Anyways, Im going to talk to the junk yard guy tomorrow and see if I can take home and get working but in the meantime was hoping to get someones opinion who might know more.

The Machine
Couple more parts... filter and water 'tub'

Electronics seem to be in good condition
Idris

Post by Idris »

Looks almost identical to an old Winterstiger I used to use - may well be a rebranded one.

Motor looks 3 phase - but I could be wrong - If you don't have 3 phase you can go with a phase converter running off 220v or even a bit of trickery involving some capacitors - you end up with almost no starting torque but runs fine at speed.

I run my old ('92) Montana 3phase machine on single 230V with one capacitor - plenty of power to rip a ski from your hands if don't pay attention!
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

If you can get that for a couple of hundred I would jump all over it. Looks to be in great shape. I bought my grinder for $100 and it was a rust heap, and took a lot of work to restore it. And now my motor won't start for some reason so it's out of order :(
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

It's an easy problem maybe Twizz. On the ST600?
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".