I hate when I get my schwartz all twisted like that

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

EricW

I hate when I get my schwartz all twisted like that

Post by EricW »

Anyone see this as an issue when I get it into a press frame?

richie

twisted hoses

Post by richie »

Hi , yep I have been wrestling with my hoses too, they twist noticably and require a bit of force to twist stright when inflated. I am not sure how madly this will affect laminating when they are jammed inbetween the cassette and top of press but I am trying to sort mine out too. I think this is due to the hose twisting and stretching as the pressure comes on stronger, since the hose is kind of spiral would threads it will behave like this - it gets longer and twists as the pressure goes on. In the end I may end up just cutting the steel at one end so they are independant at the far end - get my point? cheers
MonkeyCAM and SnoCAD - https://github.com/mikemag
Ski binding mounting https://github.com/splitn2/DrillSki

Richard Harcourt | www.splitn2.com | Christchurch New Zealand
rich@splitn2.com | www.facebook.com/splitn2
threeninethree

Post by threeninethree »

Yes Lonestar, I have the same problem. "And I see your schwartz is as big as mine!" (couldn't resist)

When mine is inflated in the press one hose reaches my top beams first and the other follows as the pressure increases.. I may chop alittle off the end of the hoses and make new holes, but this time make sure to twist the hose a bit. I have a feeling it may be due to the drill holes not being on the same plane as the holes at the intake side of the hose.
~ Matt
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

FYI Dark Helmet,
I have never tested the cordura fabric system with 2 bladders. Only 1. I cannot say with certainty if the material will be able to withstand that type of pressure under my current design.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

completely normal.
EricW

Post by EricW »

Yeah I tried pushing down on the ends and there's a lot of pressure in the twist itself. I think I may have to bite the cost of a steel frame to account for that kind of torsion or figure out how much to pre-twist the hose.

But I agree, now that you mention it, two hoses may be too much for the Cordura.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

we use five. but smaller ones with 3" diameter when fully inflated.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

When you actually have the hose in your press it won't be inflating nearly that much, so you'll be fine.
shopvac

Post by shopvac »

we pressed 1 pair of skis in a cloth press with 2 - 8" hoses without any problems (until the crappy duck cloth shredded and the press exploded). I think you will be okay if you design the cloth press correctly. Don't have any sharp corners. That was my problem.
EricW

Post by EricW »

Apparently a friend of mine might have some I-beams laying in his back yard and if not, probably knows where to score some. Yeah, he's that guy. So the cloth may not even be an issue.

Hopefully I can get out there this weekend and have a look.