2 shapes, 1 mold

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

lanebobane

2 shapes, 1 mold

Post by lanebobane »

i was planning on making a mold for a ski along the lines of 190cm w/ 10mm of tail rocker and 20mm of tip, similar to the camber of the k2 hellbents.

my question is, if i were to keep the length/camber the same, couldn't i experiment w/ shape? like do a Armada JJ shape ski, maybe an ARG shape, and typical shape? i figure as long as it is wide enough , it should work.
sammer

Post by sammer »

Sure...
if you have a fixed (non- adjustable) mold,
the only things that have to stay the same are running length and camber.
Overall length and width are all up to you.
I've used the same mold to build a 181cm traditional side cut ski and a 186cm semi twin tip pintail.
Both skis have a 165.5cm running length.

hope this helps

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

My mold says "154" on it in huge numbers,

But we build a 159 and a 155 in it. The one that says "125" on it we're using for 130's .

We have a "172" mold, I dont think i'll ever use it i should just sell it to one of you guys. Prolly make some cool park or slalom skis with it?? maybe i'll make a pair of skis someday.

anyway, with fixed molds, you're bound by the curves of the tips and camber/rocker, and the "running length" or contact length or whatever you wanna call it. you can make any length board you want but they're all going to have that same running length.

You can fudge the camber/rocker and tip/tail radius by how you heat the thing, though this can also create unwanted concavity in the base from edge to edge.
Doug