bamboo Vs. plastic sidewalls

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

jlutz05

bamboo Vs. plastic sidewalls

Post by jlutz05 »

Anybody have any opinions/experience comparing the durability of bammboo sidewalls Vs. p-tex or ABS?

Also what do you use to seal the bamboo after you have trimmed everything?more epoxy?
hugocacola

Post by hugocacola »

i beleive that bamboo sidewalls could be good for a normal ski or snowboard, if you have that material use it and see what happen :)

there is a product for tapering all micro holes from wood boats, and is not epoxy, you should ask in a boat house, that material is cheaper and give you a good results
Craig

Post by Craig »

I know a number of companies use bamboo sidewalls on their skis, so I don't see why you'd have any problems. however, some shop techs have told me that, while the bamboo has no structural problems over time, skis with bamboo sidewalls come in for tuneups with the finish looking kind of nasty (I cannot elaborate further, I've never seen it first hand)

as for porosity... isn't bamboo, with an adhesive matrix holding the strips together, a nonporous material? I'm no expert, but I've made skis with bamboo cores that act simultaneously as sidewalls sans sealing without problem... though I haven't skied them enough to have a problem with seepage ruining the core. I hear the mention of microholes in the response... is this a known issue with bamboo in boatbuilding, or are you refering to normal porous woods?

If you want to seal the bamboo, I think you could definitely preserve the look, even if it is nonporous. The factory coating on bamboo flooring can be different things, I've heard of an aluminum oxide sealer being quite tough. That it is used is the extent of my knowledge on the substance.