CAD Master Needed

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

geo039

CAD Master Needed

Post by geo039 »

Just starting out over here on my designs and was wondering if anyone who is a CAD master would be intested in creating 3 designs from my specs and export to .DFX format. I am willing to pay a nomimal fee. Thanx-G
hose-man

Post by hose-man »

I'm no CAD master.... But I designed my skis using SnoCad2 from Graf Snowboards. It is very user friendly & while designed to draw snowboards, it easily draws skis by changing the dimensions. I've drawn 3 pair now. I haven't actually made any yet, as I am still in the pre-fab stage of press & core mill making.

Little Kam mentioned once that the SnoCad file didn't print true to scale though. I don't know if he found a remedy for that problem, but I plan on having the printer shrink/enlarge until the size is right. I plan on making a couple of small sample shapes in SnoCad & measuring the printed image, then adjusting the printer untill acurate sizing is attained.

Check out the SnoCad & let us know if it's going to work for you.

Good Luck.
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

geo, i may be able to help you out. can you post up your specific dimensions? or if they're top secret you can PM them to me.

snocad from grafs is a great program. i haven't downloaded the new one yet but perhaps they fixed the issues like printing and accurate scale. for now i basically use turbocad for my drawing. it's a real simple program to learn and print from.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
Biggie

Post by Biggie »

Where can i get turbo cad?
geo039

Post by geo039 »

Hose Man,

I have actually tried to work with SnoCad, but I am having issues getting the nose and tail correctly shapped and reasonably sized. Any recs on how to do that?

Little Kam,

Pretty basic and Eastcoast 1-quiver

184 116 84 109 20.5-r

50 Tip rise, 35 tail rise with a 10-12 camber?

Thanks again for the help and suggestions. -G
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

geo039 wrote:Hose Man,

I have actually tried to work with SnoCad, but I am having issues getting the nose and tail correctly shapped and reasonably sized. Any recs on how to do that?
That's one of the most frustrating things about SnoCad. Sometimes you put in the exact same numbers and the tips and tails look completely different. Something fishy is going on or maybe it's just my lopsided vision.

Let me make sure I understand your dimensions before I start drawing up the skis:

length: 184cm
sidecut: 116-84-109
turning radius: 20.5

right?

What about the tip and tail shapes? Just the regular round style like the K2's or something a little more pointed like the Volkls/Dynastars?
geo039

Post by geo039 »

LK,

Dimensions are correct, something a little more like the K2, essentailly a little slimmer version of the New Head 88 or the Volkl Mantra.

Thanks again, GG
hose-man

Post by hose-man »

I have downloaded a Cad program, however have been unable to "make it work". This is primarily because I have never seen it used. I think that I could figure it out if I only had a little guidance. I presume that others are in my shoes.

Could someone with some experience post a brief tutorial on how to lay out a ski in Cad. For example, I don't know if the ski is drawn in one contiunous line, or if the sidecut is layed out, then the tips & tails, and the transition between the two. Then I also couldn't figure out the scale & how to represent things in the size I intend to. Little help?
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

geo, i'll try to get the ski drawings to you by the weekend. or if anybody else wants a crack at it I don't mind at all.

hoseman, here's a method to draw a ski using cad: http://www.skibuilders.com/howto/skicon/template.shtml. the key is to set up your document using absolute scale (full size) and in the dimensions you want to work with. for drawing using the curvature tools may seem a little frustrating at first but if you'll find step by step instructions in the command line (usually looks like the URL address bar of your internet browser). for example, creating an arc typically requires the input of 3 separate points (the start point, the end point, and the apex). in most CAD programs you can simply click these points with your mouse or type them in for more accuracy.
kohlrabi

Post by kohlrabi »

I'd be glad to help.

I can make a 3D model of the ski too, if you'd like

would you like more of a dynastar style shaped tip, or moure rounded like a Line or rossi twintiip?
geo039

Post by geo039 »

Thanks guys for the help! Greatly appreciated, and I own at least a 6-pack to both of you.

Kohlrabi,

3-D would be crazy... as I said I am not the CAD master at all so this style would be great.

All the best and thanks again, GG
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

geo, how long do you want your tips and tails?
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

Biggie wrote:Where can i get turbo cad?
Turbocad - they have a trial version up, which I think expires. They used to give out a very basic version for free and I'm sure it can be found somewhere.
geo039

Post by geo039 »

LK,

Use your past experience for a benchmark. You have much more skills at this, so I would just be throwing out a number. Again, thank you for the help. All the best -G
nech71

CAD drawer needed

Post by nech71 »

Hi,

I also don't have any experience in CAD, Could someone help me drawing my pair of skis ?
I would help me a lot. I know already what I want but I am not able to draw it :-(
Thanks a lot in advance and good ride to all !!!