Senior Project

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

DualSkier

Senior Project

Post by DualSkier »

I am a senior at Henry M. Jackson high school in Mill Creek (South of Everett) Washington. A graduation requirement for my school district is to complete a senior project. Naturally, I have chosen to pursue a project that I can easily relate to. I have skied for as long as I remember. I now consider myself an expert skier and I genuinely enjoy the sport. With this passion for alpine skiing, I have chosen a project that will demonstrate some of my personal developments and benefit me in my hobby of skiing.

I want to construct my own pair of skis and I found myself at this site.

I know that most skis are manufactured in factories and the many aspects of skis are seen packaged together in a final product. I believe that constructing my own pair of skis give me a better understanding of the skis on the market and the technology and parts that are in skis. Also, I will have a final product that I will be able to use on the mountains. I am very excited to embark on this project.

However, I need to obtain one more thing before I am allowed to start this project. I need a mentor for my project that can be considered an expert. For the project I have decided on, there are not many people that can be considered experts. I have done some research and people who have made skis can be considered experts. I need a mentor that can volunteer about 5 hours of instruction even if it is simply over email but I would prefer someone local to the Puget Sound Region that I could meet with once.

I would appreciate your consideration of being my mentor for this project. I look forward to working with an expert that can help me develop a greater understanding for one of my passions. This is sort of my plee for help and I'm hoping there is someone that can help me because I really want to make my own pair of skis!

If you would be interested or have any comments you can reply or email me. Cheers!
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I live in Kenmore, I consider myself an expert skier, I do not consider myself an expert ski-builder... but I'm certainly proud of the skis I've made (check out my journal), and they're pretty close to production-quality (at least I think so :) )

I am more than happy to help you out! I am usually pretty busy between , but certainly have more than enough time to help out with anything over email, and I'm sure I can work out some time to spend one-on-one.

This forum will be your #1 resource for information though, do lots of searching and lots of reading and you'll learn everything you need to know!
ryandriver

Post by ryandriver »

this is an awesome idea i
i am in 11th grade and just started making skis this is an awesome idea i never thought to use it as a school project thanks
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

They gonna let you graduate with that stellar puncuation?

I kid I kid.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Regarding Dual Skier post, How refreshing to see someone that has put some thought into, not only the project, but putting it out there (on the forum) with a complete and thorough presentation. Twiz would be a great asset to your project. As he said, check out his journal, read and then read some more. If I were in WA I would certainly help you out.
Best of luck to you.
ra
Refreshing to say the least!
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Twizz, I consider you an expert ski builder.

:D