Titanal Source

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

marcp

Titanal Source

Post by marcp »

I work for a large metal distributor in Connecticut. We are currently researching the Titanal market within North America. I understand there is interest but no real supplier state side. I am trying to decide if stocking this product would be worth while. Is anyone out there interested, if so what are the thicknesses of interest?
artski

Post by artski »

I would be interested in getting some. I know a few people who just can't take seriously a ski that doesn't have metal in the layup. So whatever the big boys are using thats what we need as far as thickness.
By the way is there that much difference between "Titanal" and 7075 alum. 7075 alum. can be had through Alro steel. The thinnest they stock is .063 and I've thought about trying some test layups with this and comparing with layups without. Of course the cores would have to be shaved down a little.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

.8 and .5 are common thickness. I would be interested in a local supplier of metal edges.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

.063"(inches) in a ski would be bad news. That's what some of my cassettes are.
.063mm however, different.
SD are you in mm or English standard? I assume mm.

From what I understand the titanol just has an anodized or otherwise etched and coated prepared surface for bonding. With all the AL in the states and aerospace, this product is findable. Just needs to be coated for epoxy compression bonding. Someone in Aerospace in FL or Seattle or TX must have a thin .4mm-.8mm coated bondable 7000 series AL for our uses stateside.
AMAG cant be the only one in the world to make a product like this, they may be the only one to do r and d on this type of bonded surface but it has to have wider application than just ski laminates.

You would be best to directly contact some of the larger makers of smaller brands of skis in NA.
Neversummer, Mervin manf., ON3P, PM GEAR, I dunno, many others that are larger and maybe mervin only does boards.
Call donek boards and ask him where he got his and what it is thickness and he may have not e=ven gotten the Austrian stuff and r and d 'ed it himself on bonding.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Seen 0.6 and 0.8mm quoted in certain ski designs - we need group spreadsheets on this stuff.....hmmm google doc's?
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Yes, mm. I see that Fischer is using .5mm or .8mm in some of their high end skis and racing skis.
FigmentOriginal

Post by FigmentOriginal »

All the alpine snowboard shops I am familiar with use .5 in their layups both top and bottom.

I would be VERY interested having you guys as a supplier. From what I understand its not very easy to come across...STOCK IT!!!
Toddh77

Post by Toddh77 »

I'd be interested in buying some if you get it worked out. I've been considering using some 7000 grade alum in very thin gauge, since titanal feels like it is un-obtainable. I'm not sure what thickness, but i've used .032in. 7000 grade aluminum and it was way too stiff. I think somewhere around half that thickness might work well. Especially since most use a layer above and below the core. Email me when you know more info. todd.aspenmtg at gmail
grace ski

Titanal

Post by grace ski »

.3 or.5mm would be a good fit. Cant find any in USA...
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

NO. NOt really.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Read the article Rob ...

It appears to offer detail on comparable materials within the 7000 series ... the chart is offering the useful information chemical composition, temper and elongation limits for various tempers.

I know certain companies use the aircraft grade material to great effect. I wonder if there is anything within the numbers to allow the engineers to provide a better comparison between the various tempers?

If there's enough interest, I could make a few enquiries - although shipping would be around 40 GBP for 5KG.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

oh I read it. doesn't matter. doesn't get me a supplier. I already new this and have read it before.
Doesn't tell me what thickness are common for our type of production or even what temper exactly.
Doesn't talk about the proprietary surface bonding treatment or anything of value to us.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Congrats, now it been posted others have the chance to read it too. But for a supplier, the other information is not a problem - its readily available.
Last edited by Richuk on Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Richuk wrote: But of a supplier, the other information is not a problem - it readily available.
This makes no sense in proper english.