Help needed on how to make a multi radius ski

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Nanook

Help needed on how to make a multi radius ski

Post by Nanook »

Im looking for someone to show me how to design a ski on turbo cad that has a mulit radius side cut. I have no idea how to do this ,and help would be appreciated.

NA
NOO
K
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

what are you trying to accomplish radius wise?
nick

Post by nick »

bobbyrobie

Post by bobbyrobie »

uummm yeah... magnetraction is something totally different my friend.
nick

Post by nick »

yeah i know what it is. I was just wondering if that is what he was talking about.
Broflovski

Post by Broflovski »

You need to use tangent arcs or get good with beziers. I don't know anything about TurboCad, but all the big name manufacturers use beziers to design all their skis.

Tangent arcs work, but you'll have strange continuity from radius to radius.

That said- it's hard to do, and it's the main reason I can't make a decent pair of race skis!!!
Nanook

Post by Nanook »

Haha. I would think a single radius would be fine for a pair or race skis. After all, it would make sense that it would make a really consistant turn. I know Igneous makes one. check um out. I can imagine that the tails would washout when carving tho. I have a pair of 190 GS racers that have a multi radius sidecut that work well. anyway, back to the subject. I've messed with the beizer tool a bit and found it really hard to deal with. so do I need to know the dimensions that I want at certain points along the ski to make the beizer work? Or should I just use the tangent tool?
NA
NOO
K