Washing Cloth (graphics) Before Layup

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

krp8128

Washing Cloth (graphics) Before Layup

Post by krp8128 »

I'm getting close to finally laying up a pair (I hope) and have a prep question.

I'm assuming that cloth being used as graphics should be washed first, to stabilize the size and colors. I am also assuming that fabric softener would be bad in this situation, as it would leave a residue.

Is there anything else I should be aware of?
hafte

Post by hafte »

I would test new fabrics to be sure it is compatable with the epoxy system. Anything slick and most nylons can give you trouble. You really want to be sure that the epoxy can wet out the fabric.

Sizing in the fabric will give you troubles too. Definately wash until the sizing is washed out. I use silk and dye it myself. I like it because its cheap, wets out prefectly and does not add much weight. Cottons work well also, but really likes epoxy and will add more weight.

Good luck

Hafte
dbtahoe

Post by dbtahoe »

What do you think of this. It comes in a 120" roll or sheet.

http://www.jacquardproducts.com/products/kits/inkjet/
hafte

Post by hafte »

dbtahoe, that looks pretty cool. Not too bad on price either. ~ $1 a sheet from.
http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/4 ... sfers.html

If it leaves the fabric soft without a build up on the suface it should work well.

Nice find!! I may have to try that. Silk is kind of nice ot work with it goes completly clear when wet out.

Hafte
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

I've used that, from a different company. It works pretty good, but it seems like it is hard to get the air out from under the silk compared to regular glass. Maybe it has to do with the tightness of the weave?
Skierguy

Post by Skierguy »

Any comments on the durability of the ink in terms of fade resistance? My brother picked up a few packages of that stuff the other week. We are getting ready to press our first sets this winter. (We were trying to get them pressed before his wedding which was last Friday, didn't quite make it but, Congratulations Jeremy!)
That was one of my more spectacular Da Dunt, Da Dunts� Aaron McGovern �Focused