Fitting edges to base

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

krp8128

Fitting edges to base

Post by krp8128 »

How much of a gap is ok to have when I glue my edges on?

I have one spot, about 8" long, where I can just barely see light between the edge and the base. Should I pull this and re-glue? I'm vacuum bagging.
plywood

Re: Fitting edges to base

Post by plywood »

the best would be if there was no gap.

i had some huge gaps in some areas of tip and tail where i didn`t bend the edges that accurate, some are maybe 2-3mm wide. actually in tip and tail this is not a big deal because there you don`t feel any influences on how a ski skis. more or less.
when glueing the edges to the base i never achiefed a really tight fit, so you could always see a little gap of maybe a 1/10mm. after grinding the bases in the process of finishing there wasn`t a gap anymore...
in the worst case you still can fill the gaps with epoxy after finishing the skis.
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

Plywood,

Thanks. This makes me feel a little better.

I just checked the gap, it is about 0.030" (0.762 mm). What worries me is that this is right at the midpoint of the ski...

I know I could fill it with P-tex after they are done, but I like things done right the first time.
plywood

Post by plywood »

well, then...i`d check by eye from the side if the edge does a nice curve and if you have a more or less smooth radius. and if this is not completely twisted i`d let things as they are.
because i don`t think you cann pull away the edges without destroying the base or even the edges... so i wouldn`t worry too much about it anyway ;)
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!