dieskischmiede.at

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

breid19

Post by breid19 »

Hi Skischmied,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am still unsure of your top sheet material. I have used rice paper before and it works well but what material are you putting over it. Does it get epoxied on during the vacuum bagging or do you stick in on after the bagging. I have used base material for top sheets but it does not come with a removable film like you say. Where do you get it?

Thanks again

Bill
Skischmied

Post by Skischmied »

I tried different ones.

This is "Duraclear" called:

http://www.boardbuildingsupply.eu/produ ... ucts_id=35

later
Christian
www.dieskischmiede.at :: handshaped freeride & newschool skis
plywood

Post by plywood »

seems like you`re using the same topsheet as i do... so just a quick offtopic question regarding topsheet:
are you happy with it? as far as i can see you use a normal sandwich construction, no rounded edges or such stuff, right?
on my skis i suffered some chipping of the topsheet. when banging the two skis togheter the edges of one harmed the topsheet of the other which created some chips. the topsheet is not "broken" or something like this, but there are some small areas there it kind of delaminated on the edges, caused by such hits.... have you made any similar experiences?
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
Skischmied

Post by Skischmied »

Yes I made same experiences. But I have no idea how to solve it.

I am open if somebody has any tip.
later
www.dieskischmiede.at :: handshaped freeride & newschool skis
breid19

Post by breid19 »

Hi Skischmied,

Do you have any problems with air bubbles being trapped below your topsheet. From the phots it looks like you don't. I use the same set up as you (vacuum press, etc) and struggle with bubbles. Do you have any secrets to prevent bubbles?

Thanks

Bill
plywood

Post by plywood »

@breid19: check my second post here, i wrote sth about bubbles: viewtopic.php?t=1122

@skischmied: once upon a time there was a guy on this forum who had something to do with the development from rossi skis. he wrote, that they also tried literally every kind of topsheet available - none could withstand the abuse through the edges and every kind of plastics did chip.
on previous skis i used coloured ABS topsheet. chipping was no deal there, ABS took every abuse. but my supplier told me that such topsheet is no longer available and that noone is using abs for topsheet anymore, just the duraclear stuff... ok, it`s better printable, but crap regarding chipping
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!