When to superglue edges?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

krp8128

When to superglue edges?

Post by krp8128 »

It looks like I have to wait another week for the composites lab on campus to be finished (needs an exhaust fan). In the meantime, I'm trying to get everything else ready for the layup. Today I was getting the edges ready. I think I've got the tubing bender modified to bend edges in a way that I like.

My question is how much ahead of time can you attach edges? Is there any risk of the superglue breaking down and the edges coming off when I wipe the bases with acetone just prior to layup?
teleman36

when to super glue edges?

Post by teleman36 »

I have had no problem with gluing up a batch of edges and not using th
em for a few months. Alcohol clean up and abrading with scotch brite pads does not effect the glue. Tip ; Once the edges are on run the tip and tail through a sheet metal roller to get a perfectly smooth radius. I happen to have a sheet metal shop, but host schools would have them in their shop class or maintenance room. The cheap ones you see in the catalogs will work fine for what we need. Good Luck
plywood

Re: when to super glue edges?

Post by plywood »

i`m not so sure about this...but i personally wouldn`t glue the edges to the base too much in advance.
bending them a few weeks before layup is no problem. but then i`d wait until the day before the layup or something like that. i always sand and clean the edges before glueing them to the base to get a better bonding. so i`d be a bit concerned about corrosion and stuff like that if the edges lay around for months...

but i wouldn`t say it is impossible to do it. anyway the most important thing is to clean the edges properly once again before the layup.
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

I'm all for attaching the edges as soon as possible. On the next project I'll follow this procedure:
1) Draw up design. 2) Cut out template. 3) bend edges to template. 4) Cut bases. 5) Glue edges to base.
The reason for the edges first and glueing quick is I hope it will keep the warping of the base material at a minimum. The temps are changing quite frequently throughout the day and night and I believe it has an affect on the base material.
ra
endre

Post by endre »

The cyanoacrylate-glued-on edges are not even close to being stiff enough to hold a warping base, the forces are to big. One time the sun was shining on a pair of pre-glued bases w/edges. They all popped off in a few seconds. So just as a test i took a 40x40cm piece of base and vacuum formed over a construction helmet (In a vacuum forming machine, don't know what it's called in english, directly translated it is a "vacuum puller"), just to observe the shrinkening effect as it cooled. The forces of the shrinkening plastic crushed the helmet. (I didn't believe it myself) The helmet actually withstood the forces of vacuume, but not the shrinkening afterwards. I have not seen any other plastic behave like this. I think the only way to be shure to avoid warping is to store and macine the base at the same temp.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

I would agree to the extent that if the bases warped a conciderable amount. The warping I have experienced in the past has been minimal and therefore glueing has helped. I even used a hair dryer to heat the base and clamp it once the base was straightened out. Then glued the edge on and it seemed to work fine. I am working in a shop that is not climate controled and therefor I'm unable to maintain a consistent temp which would be ideal.
ra