screw you!

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

shralpster

Post by shralpster »

Awesome, thanks. It may be a bit lofty for my first build, since I have no idea if I'll be able to keep my core lined up or locate the inserts in the prime spot for the bindings on my first try. I know I have a long way before the sticks will be durable, but I'd like to think that at a certain point I'll be pulling a binding off a ski to mount to another set, and not just because that first ski is toast and done for.
plywood

Post by plywood »

pretty damn good idea with the inserts for different bindings!

actually it depends on which binding you want to use...but i see a problem: it can happen that the holes for the different inserts get pretty close to each other. what do you think about this in terms of stability? i had some concerns about it, that the core between the inserts get weakened too much and that the inserts get ripped out easier again...
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
teleman36

screw you

Post by teleman36 »

Too many skis,not enough bindings. In my crew of teleskiers, which includes two twenty something children,as well as some more recent freestyle converts that are a blast to ski with we probably have over 25 pairs of skis that are actually used at sometime during the season. What has worked for us is a standardization of bindings from Rocafella. Rottefella makes a steel plate that attaches to the ski with either alpine pitch screws or into factory placed inserts [K2]. This is a bomproof way of mounting , and remounting bindings. Unfortunately Rottefella will not sell just the steel mounting plates separate. So being cheap and also fortunate enough to own a metalworking shop I just made a whole bunch or the steel plates that the bindings slide over and then screwed on the plates with machine screws . What we do is either permanently affix the plates to skin that do not have inserts, or in the case or all off the skis we are making now place either 4 or 8 inserts in the layup. Normally just 4, but 8 when we want to experiment with fore and aft stance location. I have only had experience with Rott's but any one of you ski builders could make something to suit you binding preference. All it is is just a piece of 14 ga. sheet steel with 3 machine screws either silver soldered or welded in the 3 hole pattern of the bindings. Alpine mountings could be done in a similar fashion with an aluminium plate attached to the ski with some inserts and then drill and tap to receive your binding. For the racer/carvers out there a factory riser plate works great these plates even have mounting holes pre-drilled and labelled for different bindings. Speedplate in the one I have. Got to go, this is more typing than I am used to, and it is way to nice out to be inside.
teleman36

screw you

Post by teleman36 »

Error correction. Should read machine nuts not screw being welded to the plate. I am sure you guys would have figured it out though.
plywood

Re: screw you

Post by plywood »

i foudn a picture that shows similar inserts as were used on my old K2 snowboard. my supplier calls them composite inserts...just HUGE!

they are aviable with m4 and m6 - the ones with m4 look slightly different. the picture is of an m6. the dimensions actually could work for skibuilding!
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!