Grip tape for planer profiler

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

kirol

Grip tape for planer profiler

Post by kirol »

We were tired of our wood slipping around when profiling our cores so we through 2 peices of grip tape (available at your local skateboard shop for $5) on the wedge and walla no more slipping!

Here is what the surface now looks like:

rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Kipkirol,
Great idea! Here is another option for keeping the core attached, I use a drop of hot glue on each corner (core is not trimmed to shape) and this seem to work good also.
ra
endre

Post by endre »

be careful with the griptape, I have destroyed several planner blades that way.
plywood

Post by plywood »

i`d love to get such a planer! but it`s nearly impossible in switzerland, such tools are 10times more expensive than anywhere else. and importing one is not worth it because then i had to pay huge fees for stupid things like custom duties and shit like that...

and nice idea with the griptape by the way ;)
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
kirol

Post by kirol »

endre wrote:be careful with the griptape, I have destroyed several planner blades that way.
The planer should never come close to touching the grip tape if you do this right.
endre

Post by endre »

kipkirol wrote:
endre wrote:be careful with the griptape, I have destroyed several planner blades that way.
The planer should never come close to touching the grip tape if you do this right.
if you want a soft tip you have to come pretty close in the ends, (around 2mm) and if you make a mistake like using a too short core in the crib, those 2mm suddently seem very short.

I didn't meen to be negative, it's a great way to secure the core in a planer, I have been doing the same ting:
http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... ight=#3353
kirol

Post by kirol »

endre wrote:
kipkirol wrote:
if you want a soft tip you have to come pretty close in the ends, (around 2mm) and if you make a mistake like using a too short core in the crib, those 2mm suddently seem very short.

I didn't meen to be negative, it's a great way to secure the core in a planer, I have been doing the same ting:
http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... ight=#3353

yeah, thats a very good point, maybe if we peeled the grip tape a couple of inches off the front