Help ? with Square Tubing

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Yama

Help ? with Square Tubing

Post by Yama »

Hello all...
This is a great site, with a wealth of great information... many thanks for providing this forum.

However, I can't find any information on how to mount the square tubing together. I searched the site only to find suppliers and such discussed. I have a press set up with a fire hose and i am finding some uneven pressure points. I hoping the square tubing might give me a more even press. Am I wrong? What is the reason for square tubing, and how would you go about building, mounting, and using it? Also do you bungee to to the top to release the air?

Any info would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance for the help.
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

What exactly is your current setup? Pics would be helpful. There is a basic outline on how to build a press utilizing square tubing in the "how-to" section of the site.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Yama,
The cat track will help in the distribution of the pressure across the mold. For my set up I used square steel tubing. I cut it to length (the width of the press). Drill holes on each side of the tubing. Run a cable down each side and fasten with a spring of some sort and clamp the cable. I used springs (old trampoline springs) to hold the cat track in place. Here are pics to help you out. One last thing I'd recommend is to use the 1/4"plastic sheet on the top of your layup otherwise you will get little ridges in the top of you ski. These are caused by the gaps between the steel tubes.

Yama

Post by Yama »

Cool, thank for the input and pictures.

I actually have been pressing wakeboards using MDF bonded to aluminum alloy sheet between the press, in a sandwich construction. I use the fire hose to lift up the bottom rocker cavity to meet the top rocker. I upgraded my rocker mold with a built in "teeth" guiding system (if that makes sense) so the bay won't shift in any direction. This has solved the problem I was having... so a cat track is not nessary now. If i get a chance I'll post up some pictures. [/img]