Fat ski design questions

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Cornbiscut

Fat ski design questions

Post by Cornbiscut »

This is my first ski design and I have some questions for the more expierenced builders lurking round here.

My ski is a 191.... 152-116-136 26m sidecut radius..

I am not sure what my stance setback and camber setback should be for my core? The way I have it set up now is semetrical lengthwise.

The idea is a moderatly stiff powder ski. thanks
chaka

Post by chaka »

It depends... is it twin tip or not? tele or alpine?. It could also depend on your foot size.
... a lot of options.
Don´t worry it´s an easy question, for the real experts (not me ) on the forum.
RIDE WITH PRIDE
Greg

Post by Greg »

The general rule that I follow is to mount the center of the boot with about 60% of the area of the ski in front of it. There is a forum somewhere around here discussing this very topic, and I believe the magic number was 57% in front and 43% in back, but I could be wrong. This ensures that the tips will stay above the snow in powder and also ensures that the skier can take a neutral stance and float. IE you this makes it so that you don't have to lean back in the powder.

You can do this using geometry or fancy mathematics, or you can just do it by looking at the ski and figuring about where the magic point is. The real trick I use is to use demo bindings which allow me to move the toe piece forward and backward to make the ski's balance just right.
endre

Post by endre »

57% sounds a bit far back in my opinion. about 54% (of running length) is ideal for normal skiing