what to call it?

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

rockaukum

what to call it?

Post by rockaukum »

Tomorrow morning I will be pressing my latest ski. Measures 181, 141-99-121. It will be an attempt at a bigger ski for the soft stuff with some turning ability. The core is made out of 2x4 doug fir (with knots). 12mm center and taper to 2mm at each end. 12 in front of center and 20 in the rear to begin the taper. I am using triax on top and bottom of the core and a clear top sheet. It has full wrap edges with a blue base.

So when it came time to name the skis there were several options to go with. "Knotty stix" (prior skis were wicked sticks) due to the use of DF with the knots included. "2by4's" because of the DF 2x4 core. As I pondered what to call them I was drinking a cold beer from the keg in the shop. While drawing a fresh one the idea came to me... brewski. I have retrieved several old bottles from the recycle bin and will use the labels in the design of the ski. Then I went to my son who did the drawing of the ski and asked for a label design. Here is what he came up with.
I'll post in a few days as to wheather it came out okay or not. Wish me luck!
rockaukum
endre

Post by endre »

any special reason for the knots?
teleman36

What to call it

Post by teleman36 »

Great Name. Very appropriate, as we all seem to go into our workshops and brew up numerous pieces of wood and plastic that we call skis. Good Luck.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

No reason for the knots. All the good wood was used up in my sons snowboard that he is building. I felt like I needed something to do also and just happened to have a few 2x4's laying around. So I used them. I remembered Kam did something and it included the knots as well. However I don't recall the outcome of the project. Anyway my bet is the glass and resin will be the structure and strength of the ski anyway. I will not be using any cloth so I should be able to see some of the knots and hopefully be able to determing if this is in fact a viable source of wood (studs for a couple $ each and available anywhere).
rockaukum
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Did the layup on Friday AM. Had a friend with me to help in the process. Things went very well despite my being very nervous! I don't know why it just happens that my projects always start out that way. It was 80* in the shop for the lay up process.
Once done with the layup, we put the whole project into the press. I only went to about 10psi then continued to bump up the pressure to 35psi total. Then I put it into the oven (room with pellet stove) and gradually increased the temp to 125*. I shut the stove off after 6 hours. Let everything cool under pressure until the AM ((12 hours, overnight).
Took them out today and they look great. Trimmed them out and now were off to Truckee for the weekend. I'll try to post pics later.
rockaukum
RoboGeek

Post by RoboGeek »

this makes you a knotty skier? :?
I used to be a lifeguard, but some blue kid got me fired.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

The skis have been trimmed out and drilled for the bindings. All things considered, They came out great! Being that the core is Doug Fir I think I'll brush on epoxy for some lasting protection. I think I will do this after a base grind. Here are some pictures of the skis. Notice the Knots in the core.

Here they are fresh out of the press:

Here is one ski trimmed and one with the flash on:

Here are the skis trimmed out and proped up against my inspiration:

Close up of the tip logo, Logo thanks to my son...

Stay tuned for the next model "FISH STICKS"
endre

Post by endre »

mmm.. beer.. I like
those are all brands right? Not familiar with any of your breweries, but a good idea.
RoboGeek

Post by RoboGeek »

I love em! Best thing will be the questions on the lift.. then the millions of dollars you make duplicating them.. lol
I used to be a lifeguard, but some blue kid got me fired.
plywood

Post by plywood »

RoboGeek wrote:I love em! Best thing will be the questions on the lift.. then the millions of dollars you make duplicating them.. lol
or the millions you get sued by each brewing company ;)

no, seriously, i like the look of the wood. it looks somehow solid and strong. great planks and good workmanship!
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
hydrant71

Post by hydrant71 »

new skis look great. nice work.

jason
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

The beers on the skis are the beers that I consumed while making the skis. ALso consumed were some of the home brew beer ( End of the trail ale).
Could you imagine the breweries wanting to claim improper use of their lables or would they be my lables since I purchased them?
Can't wait for the snow and try them out!
plywood

Post by plywood »

rockaukum wrote: Could you imagine the breweries wanting to claim improper use of their lables or would they be my lables since I purchased them?
i don`t know how it is in the US, but in switzerland it goes something like this:

you purchased the beer, so physically the beer is yours, and also the label, cause you bought the paper on which they printed it. but the rights on the design, trademark etc. are still property of the brewery. and you are, theoretically, not allowed to use their designs.

but in switzerland you can use everything, you can even paint copyrightet logos, labels and stuff like that on, for example, your skis. there is no problem as long as it is for your personal use and you don`t sell such stuff.

so if you wanted to build a beerlogoskiserie you had to ask the producers for permission. but as long as it is just a ski for yourself you are free to do anything you like.

same thing with cd and dvd: you are allowed to copy their contents on your pc, on your ipod, burn on cd for listening in the car....but you are not allowed to burn it/email it/sell it to friends etc.

so no worries, i think it`s pretty legal to use the labels as you did ;)
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Yeah,
I never really gave it much thought outside that I thought it would be a fun idea. I would think that a company would be excited (well at least not upset) with the free advertising they are getting from me. As stated before these are the beers that were comsumed during the building of the skis. I tell everyone that and logic would lead me and others to believe that one would put only good beer on their skis (or in their bellies for that matter)! In short the skis have been fun to build and have been well recieved by those who have seen them. I just can't wait to try them out!
rockaukum
hydrant71

Post by hydrant71 »

you have to be happy with those skis, once again they look great.
do thay have a topsheet? or is it some other coating?

jason