Thickness planer

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

billl

Thickness planer

Post by billl »

Hi all -

we are looking at buying a thickness planer... Any advice? There is a Dewalt 733 on Craigslist for cheap, does anyone have experience with this planer? Would you recommend it?

Thanks
Billl
mark

Post by mark »

I have a DeWalt thickness planer. Not sure of the model #, but it's the home job.

It's plenty accurate and leaves a surface as smooth as any I've ever used. I haven't had any issues with excessive tear-out or the like. Only thing is it's a little slower than a real shop piece, can't take as much material per pass, and only takes 12 1/2" wide material. (probably not an issue for skis ;) )

I bought mine new and feel it was worth every penny.
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

I have the Ridgid one.

I love it. You can get it new for like $350. Track down a 20% off coupon and you are good. Comes with a great warranty, stand, dust collector attachment, and in and out feed tables already attached (the expensive Dewalt one they are extra).

It is a 2 blade one. I know a lot of people love the expensive 3 blade dewalt one. It is super smooth, but the blades wear out SO fast.

I would seriously look into the ridgid. It is just awesome.
billl

got it

Post by billl »

hey thanks guys.
The craigslist planer sold... So we got a DeWalt 734 new instead. Tripped the house circuit on our first try though :) Will have to upgrade to 20A!!!