Snowboard profile information

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

rockaukum

Snowboard profile information

Post by rockaukum »

Time has come to start up a new project. My son wants a new snowboard. The problem is it will only be slightly wider than his stance. I'm not sure why but this is what he wants.
I'm looking for suggestions on the profile for the board. My skis are 12mm center and the typical board is about 7 or 8 mm ? I think that the board being so short and he so big that the profile in the center should be thicker but how much tincker is the question. Any ideas? He has laminated the wood and made his template and we are ready to go so any help or ideas would be great.
Thanks much,
rockaukum
he is about six feet tall and the board is just over three feet in length
hydrant71

Post by hydrant71 »

what is the total length, RL, and stance width? i think on the other site he was talking about building something around 106cm, seems really short.
i know he is going for a fun jib board but i believe that something in the 130 to 140cm range is more realistic. let me know.

jason
heelside76

Post by heelside76 »

i came up with the 106 because i took the stance i was using on my other board and extended it enough to encompass the tip and tail. i chose to make a small board for just messing around on lazy days and to take with us when we go to places with snow for example camping or to my grandparents cabin. i believe my stance is around 21 inches and i will be centered on the board. thanx for any tips!

almost forgot... the tip and tail will be 30cm wide and the middle will be 27cm wide
Last edited by heelside76 on Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Next Project~162 Race Board
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Hydrant,
Thanks for the help on this. I'm not too familliar with snowboards. What I thought was that the board profile should be thicker that normal because it will be alot shorter? Does that sound correct at least for the center dimension, the tips should probably be as before (=2mm).
Thanks much,
ra
hafte

Post by hafte »

rockaukum, heelside76, there is a nice SS here http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=486 that Bambi made. It works pretty good for figuring out how much flex you want in a board, but you will need to enter some data from skis you have already made/skied to get a comparison so the data is useful. I have put in my skis and a few from the gallery here to get an idea of where to go next.

I entered the data from your post and found a deflection of .7 mm Here are the dimensions I entered. I had to assume tip and tail length and a couple of other bits.

Ski Dimensions
Running length: 700mm
Tip Width: 300mm
Waist Width: 270mm
Tail Width: 300mm
Tip Start 350mm
Tail Start 350mm
Core Profile
Mount Start 0mm
Mount End 0mm
Tip Thickness 2mm
Mount Thickness 8mm
Tail Thickness 2mm

My first pair has 9.75 mm of deflection just to give you an idea. My dimensions for a soft to medium stiff ski.

Ski Dimensions
Running length: 1600mm
Tip Width: 128mm
Waist Width: 87mm
Tail Width: 108mm
Tip Start 800mm
Tail Start 800mm
Core Profile
Mount Start 200mm
Mount End 250mm
Tip Thickness 2mm
Mount Thickness 10.6mm
Tail Thickness 2mm

You’re looking at a pretty stiff plank even at 8mm tapered to 2mm. This does not take into account camber but like I said you will need to enter data to make a comparison.
Most of the snow boards I've used are pretty flexy. IMO soft to medium stiffness. The SS will let you get there but its very thin. That length of a snowboard will always be very stiff and you will be mounting bindings at the thinnest part of the board too.

Not trying to discourage. Just throwing out some data that might be useful.

Hafte
hydrant71

Post by hydrant71 »

i think the core thickness at the waist should be somewhere around 6.0-6.5mm to allow most of the board flex to come from the waist to avoid it feeling like a 2X6 when riding. most boards in the 160cm plus range are
around 7mm and cores for 154/156cm are usually in the ballpark of
around 6.5 for reference. a softer midsection will allow him to lift the
nose of the board and load up the midsection for spring when initiating ollies. one problem that i see is that the core thickness under the bindings and towards the tips is going to be really thin because the core has to taper down the the 2mm tipfill thickness, within a couple inches of the outside edge of the bindings will be 2mm and the tips will begin to rise.
hope i'm making sense. making a steeper/shorter core taper may help with this problem when you profile the core. you may have to customize the inserts to get them to the right heigth.

having never built a short board this is the best advice i could give,
in reality, pretty much anything you come up with will be really fun to ride, and fun is what it is all about. love to see the finished product.

jason
hydrant71

Post by hydrant71 »

i agree with hafte on the idea that this size board will always feel stiff.
i think i would really shoot for a 6mm core thickness as opposed to anything thicker. even at 6mm this board would feel very stiff.
i would also keep the tip/tail length down to 8-10cm from the end of the RL to the end of the tips. this will allow for a longer RL and a thicker core underfoot.

i think the reason most of the shortboard mfg. build them 120-140cm
is to allow for a reasonable length from binding to end of running length.
having the extra length enables a thicker core under the bindings and
the use of standard inserts, also the nose and tail will have a little flex/pop for ollies, nose presses, and blunt slides.

jason
heelside76

Post by heelside76 »

thanks alot for all the help. the info on keeping it thick until a sharp decrease towards the tip and tail is really going to help alot. it is going to be a stiffer board anyway because you normally feel most of your flex on the outside of your bindings. thanks again!

hydrant71

Post by hydrant71 »

i would think about doing a two stage taper. figure the max you
could safely reduce your insert height and still have enough thread engagement with the binding screws, and profile core gradually
(almost like normal) to this dimension in the insert pack area, then
profile the remainder of the core to the end of the running length
at a steeper profile to match tip fill dimensions= two stage. i think doing this would provide a little more useable flex and help prevent tip breakage from such a blunt steep profile.

just remove the resin cap from the insert and grind down to safe min height, chase treads and glue the cap back on.

hope this helps, i'm sure there is other ways to build one of these
but this is the best i could come up with.

jason
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

I agree about the max insert size however I don't think we will be grinding any more inserts. On the first board we did just that and the heat from the grinding weakened the threads and they pulled out.
We will be looking for smaller height inserts to use and bring the board down to that height. I have been thinking about doing a double taper on the board. The normal taper as described then turning the core on a slight edge with and new jig and doing a taper from the outside of the inserts down to the side edge? I would hope this would help with making the board not too stiff throughout the length? We use a phneumatic press so I'll have to figure that out too, Maybe use some high density foam to fill the tapered edges?
RA
heelside76

Post by heelside76 »

here is how my dad thought we could try to taper the board. to taper from 6-7mm down to 2mm outside the red line

hydrant71

Post by hydrant71 »

looks like it would work if you could get all the bugs worked out during pressing.

jason