More graphics ideas

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

hafte

More graphics ideas

Post by hafte »

Here is an idea for ski graphics.

http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.c ... =ASC;mh=25

Anyone in the states come across a plotter that can do this?

What about resin swirls. I have red, blue, and yellow pigments… oh and black and white too. Too busy for skis maybe? The gears are a spin’n

http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.c ... 083#254540

Hafte
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Hafte,
So if I was to try this swirl method... Could I just add the colors after all the glass (top layer) has been wetted out? Then the pressing should push the colors into the resin and give some kind of design(?)?
Or should I just ask how it is done?
ra
hafte

Post by hafte »

Rockaukum, from what I have read so far the colors are added during the layup. One thing I forgot about is that the surfers are doing a wet contact layup. No pressure. So I have no idea yet how this would work under pressure. In the wet layup the colors mix as you spread the epoxy around and saturate the glass. Your idea may work well. Here is what I have been contemplating.

WARNING: I have yet to do this with anything but black on wood. The black muddied a bit in a few places. This is all a thought experiment for now.

What the surfers do is pour the colors out onto the glass in a random fashion and let that soak in for a bit.
Then they add the clear and wet out the glass completely as usual.
The colors stay where they were put to some degree and mix to make new colors where they over lap or get pushed into each other.

I wet out my glass on a table covered with plastic before it is applied to the ski. I aim for a 1:1 ratio resin to glass. The pigments I have state that you should use no more than 2% or the epoxy may not reach its full strength potential. A few of drops is usually enough. I don’t want to compromise the structural 22 oz glass so I would do the colors on a top layer of light weight 4-6 oz. glass, which I add to all of my skis as a top sheet anyway.

Weigh the glass and mix up the same amount of epoxy by weight. Then divide it into thirds. Pigment two and leave one clear.
Now pour the colors randomly over the glass and let them soak in for a moment.
Pour the clear epoxy out and work it into the glass with a plastic spreader. The colors will mix and spread out some.
It would really let you see how the epoxy is moving through the glass under pressure.

A couple of things to remember:
Only use two colors unless you are aiming for grey-browns where all three mix.
Remember your primary colors and how they mix? You only need to buy three (red, blue, yellow)

I watched a video of a couple of guys that used string to apply the colors and make some interesting patterns. From a Mexican blanket look to star bursts. You would have to look around on the swaylock site to find it.

I will not be trying this for a while. I pan to start up some more skis in sept.

I have been getting my pigment from these guys. http://sweetcomposites.com/ They are really good to work with.

Hafte