LAY UP PREPERATION QUESTIONS

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Noza

LAY UP PREPERATION QUESTIONS

Post by Noza »

I have 3 questions,

1 - Prior to glueing the edges to the base, is it recomended to wire brush or sandblast the egdes, for adhesion purposes. I noticed in the "how to do" area, it does not mention to do this?

2 - When using UHMWPE tips and tails supplied by ski builders, is it recommended to roughen up the surface prior to lay up? if so is flame preperation required again after roughning the surface for the second time?

3 - Is it recomended to rebait the wood core, tips and tail to allow for the thickness of the tongue of the edge that is glued ontop of the base
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Just my opinion:
1. I clean the edges and the base material prior to glue. Then don't touch unless gloved up and again clean prior to layup.

2. The tip spacer material I have used is pre treated. I just clean prior to glue and again prior to layup.

3. People do route out an area for the edge flange. I did not on my two skis. Although I am no pro, I doubt that I'd be able to notice any performance issue. However I think it would be the right thing to do.

Hope that helps.
RA
Noza

thanks

Post by Noza »

Thanks for the help. I am going to put all the informatin to good use this weekend as I am going to make my first set of skis!
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Best wishes and remember to have fun doing it! Post a build up article.
RA
Lennard

Post by Lennard »

i bought edges in march, they were in my basement, they got "flight(so called in german)"-rost from the humidity.

what do you thing is the best way to get it of the edges?

another thing, somebody told me he used multiplex plywood for his snowboard core, an easy way to get a cor? or do you see problems?
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

I'm not sure about the rust on the edges but if they were mine, I would probably have them sand blasted clean. Then make sure moisture stays away form them.
We used the same procedure on our sonwboard as for the skis. The core was poplar laminated up and profiled down.
ra