Full vs. 3/4 Wrap Edges

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

iggyskier

Full vs. 3/4 Wrap Edges

Post by iggyskier »

Wanted to see if anyone could shed any light on this....

I just finished bending some of my edges and than this came up. I was talking to a guy at moment skis and noticed they do a 3/4 wrap on their edges, as does igneous. They stop a few cm after the tip begins to rise.

So I asked him why, as I had always been under the assumption that a full, 360 degree edge wrap is more durable. This is what Kingswood does, same with capital, PM gear, plus a lot of other companies.

What he told me was there were two situations that make the 3/4 wrap more durable:
1) When you hits the section of edge in the tips on a log, tree, rock, etc, it pushes the edge in, acting like a wedge, resulting in a crack in the edge (could be very small) and behind it a space for water to collect, eventually resulting in a delam. A tip made of without an edge and just UHMW would be better able to absorb these blows.
2) When riding park or dropping stuff onto very hard landings, the tips and tails bust have the ability to expand and contract as they absorb the impact. There are a lot of shearing forces experienced by the tip when it lands, and by not having a solid edge, the tip can better abosrb the slapping motion. I guess some companies use a 4 piece edge to combat this.

Anyone have any experience or comments about this? I am thinking of doing several pairs with a full wrap and several pairs with a 3/4 wrap to see what happens, but the explaination given to me seemed very good. And the guys at moment really seem to have their stuff down. Their skis look amazing, everyone who has skied them likes them, shapes are great! So I really trust what they say.
endre

Post by endre »

I totally agree with him. 3/4 edges is much more durable from my experience. The only onstruction that is 100% delam proof.

And another thing, it's easier to build too!
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

If one were to do a 3/4 wrap, how do you incorporate it into the base P-tex at the end of the edge? I know most people tuck it in, but a better explaination would help.

My worry is that I have some bases that are cut right now to have a full wrap, so if I were to incorporate a 3/4 wrap, there (i dont believe) would be no spot to tuck in the end of the edge in the base material.

Do people doing a 3/4 wrap incorporate it into the templates they cut there bases out of?

If this doesnt make sense, let me know and I can better explain it better.
plywood

Post by plywood »

thanks for sharing this!
i always thought that full wraped edges prevent a much more solid ski, because the metal would reduce and distribue the forces of an impact better.

but your explanation sounds more than logical.

so i have an other question: yesterday i saw some skis which also had 3/4 edges. the edges stopped somewhere after the tip began to rise. at the point where the edges stopped the manufacturer also stopped with the normal base material. so the normal p-tex base did not go up the whole lenght of the tip. in the foremost section of the tip, the one without edges, they used some different material as the base. what do you think about this?

i also thought about this once, somehow replacing the base in the tip with some other material, metal or something like this, that had the same thickness as the base. hope you understand how i mean it. bad idea?

or what do you think about these plastic/metal things that some use as tip protector? Image
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!