Im new to the ski building world and have a few questions

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skeersrul33

Im new to the ski building world and have a few questions

Post by skeersrul33 »

This is an awesome site... glad i found it

1. I was looking on snowboardmaterials.com at topsheets and base material... they only come in a 170cm length. I want to make a pair of skis that are atleast 180cm. Where is a good place to get longer top sheets and basematerial?

Im assuming that the normal fiberglas you buy at the hardware store is the same as what gets used in skis??

I was reading that you loose about 10mm of camber after you press, so if I wanted 5mm of camber i should make my press with 15mm of camber correct? Or will they loose more or less camber?

Thanks
-Dylan
littleKam
Site Admin

Re: Im new to the ski building world and have a few question

Post by littleKam »

Hi Dylan,
skeersrul33 wrote: 1. I was looking on snowboardmaterials.com at topsheets and base material... they only come in a 170cm length. I want to make a pair of skis that are atleast 180cm. Where is a good place to get longer top sheets and basematerial?
Lindsay from snowboardmaterials.com will allow you to order any length you want, but you may have to contact him ahead of time to get a price quote and availability. You can also order from Crown Plastics. Their topsheets are a lot more durable than the Isosport ones used for snowboards and the prices are a little cheaper. They also carry sidewall and tipspacer materials as well.
skeersrul33 wrote:Im assuming that the normal fiberglas you buy at the hardware store is the same as what gets used in skis??
Actually the fiberglass is very different. You're looking for something similar to the E-glass material found at Vectorply. Right now I'm using the triaxial braided fiberglass which seems to work really well. You may also be able to find similar stuff at your local marine/boat supplier.
skeersrul33 wrote:I was reading that you loose about 10mm of camber after you press, so if I wanted 5mm of camber i should make my press with 15mm of camber correct? Or will they loose more or less camber?
Yeah 15mm of camber sounds about right. For my specific materials and press I lose about 11mm. I would make your mold with about 18mm of camber because your ski may relax a little, losing more camber than expected. It's hard to say because it really depends on your materials, epoxy type, and the set up.

Good luck with ski building! Please let us know how everything turns out.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
skeersrul33

Post by skeersrul33 »

Im not sure if you thought i meant the window like fiberglass, im talking about what is used on cars and boats... i think i shoudl ahve that covered

Thanks for the help
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

The fiberglass at hardware, auto, and marine stores is usually fiberglass mat that is used to repair body damage. It is not very strong for skis.

Some marine stores will sell plain weave fiberglass. That also won't work.

The triaxial fiberglass is what you want, and most likely, you'll have to go to a specialty fiberglass store or order it.

-Kelvin
skeersrul33

Post by skeersrul33 »

Ok, Thanks for clearing that up