Base material for sidewall

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

sleepycp

Base material for sidewall

Post by sleepycp »

Has anyone used leftover pieces of base material for sidewalls? I have all these long pieces of treated p-tex laying around, and it seems like that could work. ??
SCHÜSS

Post by SCHÜSS »

Hey sleepyycp. I used that method with my latest pair. we cut out the sidecut of the core, and then made sure it was smooth and vertical, then we resin'd 4 strips on each side of the ski. It was easy and worked great. Durability is pretty good too! you wont be pulling them off in a hurry...

The only problem we found, was because we used 4 strips each side, we used all of 2m of base material... and if we used less that 4 strips you have to have some pretty good ways to keep the core aligned during pressing... (even with 4 layers on each sidewall, for a small 10cm section we routed it away... so you have to be carefull. i would use more layers next time but then you are using so much time and base it becomes inpractical.

So bottom line i figure is, using ptex base as a sidewall is great. but only really good if you can aline your core to +-0.5mm core shift.

For our next ski we are just going to use plain old maple sidewalls, this way we get a really neat finish. Then we will use a marine varnish to seal them so they dont get all soggy inside from moisture. PTEX is def more professional tho.

Hope that helps.

schuss
SCHÜSS 2011
SCHÜSS

Post by SCHÜSS »

here is a pic of our core with the ptex base sidewalls.
SCHÜSS 2011
sleepycp

Post by sleepycp »

Yeah, that looks pretty good. There's so much wasted material when you cut out the base, it seems a shame to waste it. I think I may try it. Plus, no pesky flame treating!
endre

Post by endre »

sleepycp wrote:Plus, no pesky flame treating!
why not flame treating?
sleepycp

Post by sleepycp »

Well, you don't have to flame treat the base material because it's already prepared for bonding on one side, and as for flame treating regular sidewall materials, G-man's posts scare me.
endre

Post by endre »

sleepycp wrote:Well, you don't have to flame treat the base material because it's already prepared for bonding on one side, and as for flame treating regular sidewall materials, G-man's posts scare me.
The problem is just that. The base material is just prepared at one side. You need to flame the top and bottom.

and.. despite what G claims, flametreating is not that scary.