vacuum press question

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

kirol

vacuum press question

Post by kirol »

I just got my vacuum press and i decided that it I will build a mold next. I plan on making my bottom mold out of OSB or MDF ribs and a masonite topsheet. I will drill a 3/4" hole somewhere in my mold and run the tip of the poly pipe which I am using for my vaccum into my mold so I can vacuum from the bottom. Has anyone ever seen or used a mold set up like this?

Also, where can you get plastic that will work to lay over your skis and create a good seal?
hafte

Post by hafte »

Kipkirol, I have seen a few set ups like you describe, but they are used mostly as a hold down so a part can be machined. That might be a good way to apply vacuum to that setup, as long as you keep the epoxy out of the port.

I found most of my vacuum supplies at www.fiberglasssupply.com. Check out a couple of the other resent threads on vacuum bagging. There have been some alternate materials listed that work well too.

Hafte