skis

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

bigKam
Site Admin

skis

Post by bigKam »

built a couple pairs of skis this week:

the leftmost pair is project pallet. the other two were recently pressed; core made of old wood i found tucked away in the rafters of my garage (lots of knots, by the way). all three pairs sport uhmw sidewalls, and they have some combination of rubber and aluminum. for example, in the most recent pair (shown on the left and below by themselves), an aluminum and rubber sandwich rides beneath the top layer of glass. the sandwich is roughly 12" in length, and positioned about 10" from the tip. just above the base material rides the VDS layer, and a few other patches of thin rubber and aluminum. in my opinion, these materials help dampen the ride, subsequently increasing edge contact because of how they effect on the mode shapes of the ski -- both modal frequency and modal damping.

these new skis have roughly 5mm of camber -- just perfect, i think. they all carry the same dimensions as the Kaweah ([125-90-110]mm), a shape that i fell in love with the first time i skied it. of the three, i think the following pair will be my favorite. i don't have a name yet, but it'll come to me. other features include edges that wrap around the tip and tail, uhmw tip/tail spacer, and green base material.

i'll take at least one pair out this coming weekend to see how they run.
Last edited by bigKam on Sun May 20, 2007 6:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
hydrant71

Post by hydrant71 »

wow, those umpa lumpas are really cranking out those skis. nice work.

jason
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

hydrant71 wrote:wow, those umpa lumpas are really cranking out those skis. nice work.

jason
hey, bigKam, there is a name for your skis.... :)
G-man

Post by G-man »

Looks like you're getting your technique down very nicely. The top sheet coloration looks especially good.

G-man
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

Buuk

Post by Buuk »

Skis are looking great. And great trip report!
At what temperature and pressure did you press these skis and for what time?

Thanks,

Buuk
Make things as simple as possible, but not too simple
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

Buuk wrote:At what temperature and pressure did you press these skis and for what time?
75 psi. 100F for 30 minutes. 190 for 45 minutes. cooled to room temp under pressure.
14costurm

Park Skies

Post by 14costurm »

I am just wondering if the flex of these skis would be equivalent to the flex (and strength) of a good freestyle park ski. I don't see any on this website.
twizzstyle

Re: Park Skies

Post by twizzstyle »

14costurm wrote:I am just wondering if the flex of these skis would be equivalent to the flex (and strength) of a good freestyle park ski. I don't see any on this website.
huh? Do more looking. There are LOTS of homemade park skis on here, certainly more recently than these skis from 4.5 years ago!
14costurm

Sorry I didn't see those.

Post by 14costurm »

Sorry i didn't see that there were newer skis out there... ;)
angelicalee8

Post by angelicalee8 »

These skis look awesome. Are they for sale? and if so, how much do they go for? Thanks.