Thicker topsheet

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

M.F

Thicker topsheet

Post by M.F »

Is there anyone out there who have been using thicker topsheet like 1,5 - 2 mm thick?
How did it work?
Did it delaminate because of its thickness?
tipsup

thicker topsheet

Post by tipsup »

The thicknesses your suggesting are not out of the boundaries of feasibility. If you wet out your wood/glass completely, cure correctly, delam shouldn't be any more of a concern than usual. What material are you thinking about exactly, then maybe we'll have more of an idea about what it is your thinking.
M.F

Post by M.F »

was thinking of PE plast
There is a fabric close to me, but the thinest they are producing in PE is 2 mm.
It seemed like you had a clue on this so maybe you know what these plast could be used as topsheet (the types of plast they are producing):
-PE
- PP
- PVC
- PVDF
- E-TCFE
tipsup

thicker topsheet

Post by tipsup »

Well, the best thing you can do is make a coupon (test) of the material you plan on using, then subject it to some abuse, after adequate cure of course. Some topsheet material is 2.2 mils thick, hard fiberglass in sheets, I don't have that much experience directly, at least none that I know of, with the materials your quoting and thickness.