How much did CNC-ed templates cost you?

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

iggyskier

How much did CNC-ed templates cost you?

Post by iggyskier »

I just got a quote to have some simple, 2D base material templates CNCed. 3/4" MDF with a CNC router.

I just got the quote and for a single template for each one they wanted right around $100 each. They said if I got two templates,it went down to $50 a piece, but that still seems ridiculously expensive to me. I had heard of people getting single templates for around $40 a piece (MDF) and for about $60 a piece for actual laser steel.

Right now I was getting seven templates (6 skis, 1 tip section) and at $100 a piece, it would going to be well over $700 for just the templates. You can get a used shopbot for under $6,000.....so it seems like it will pay off for sure over time (at $100 per single template).

Can anyone comment? I am thinking about seeing I can just find someone on CL with a CNC to do it for maybe $30 a piece.

This really makes it apparent how sweet a CNC would be. A bitch at times, but from the template aspect it would be amazing.

Thanks guys
team08

Post by team08 »

Single units are expensive because of setup time. Since you have been cruising the shopbot site, you might be able to convince someone up there to show you their setup and get a template cut for a 6-pack! I have helped out people here on the east coast, so just ask on their forums.

Side note, did you get the topsheet? Is it going to work for skis?
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

I will try that for sure. I thought about just posting an add on CL.org to see if someone can help me out.

Really makes me want a cnc

I had finals monday, tuesday, and wednesday all at 8AM, so I've been studying like crazy. I then went on to crash until about 30 minutes ago (6PM PST) so I still need to go pick it up. I will do so tomorrow, but I am sure it will work. Thanks man
teleman36

NC/Waterjet Templates

Post by teleman36 »

Checkout local waterjet opperaters in your area. I have not had any cut yet, bet a local guy quoted aprox. 40-50 $ per setup done in 1/8 in. steel. If your opperater has a large enough machine, and you can figure out how to get templates for base,core, tipspacers, etc. on one CD page . it brings the price way down. Good luck.
beansnow

Post by beansnow »

I had mine cut by a machine shop on a 5'X10' C02 laser into 1/8" steel and it cost me $120, but if I got multiple the price would def be less, its all setup.

find a local cabinet maker with a cnc router that's willing to help you out. thats how I got my mold made and that was over 60 pieces of mdf and he cut it for only $150 including material.
Cadman

Post by Cadman »

Not trying to defend your vendors quote but have you priced a sheet of
3/4" MDF and what is costs to drive down and pick it up, program it, check your work and then machine it? I guess things aren't cheap anymore! A sheet of 3/4 MDF is about $30 alone.
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

Cadman wrote:Not trying to defend your vendors quote but have you priced a sheet of
3/4" MDF and what is costs to drive down and pick it up, program it, check your work and then machine it? I guess things aren't cheap anymore! A sheet of 3/4 MDF is about $30 alone.
If they were providing the material, it could be considered. But I was actually providing my own 3/4" MDF and was driving to deliver it to them and would also drive to pick the templates up.

I am going to see if I can find some other people with CNC routers.
ed

Post by ed »

A lasercut steel template would probably cost less than a CNC'd wood template...
endre

Post by endre »

isn't it more common to cut steel with water?
ed

Post by ed »

The company I work for makes nearly every component out of steel (we make computer desks). It is all laser cut, even the tube we use for the legs of the desks is cut on a laser cutting machine. As far as i'm aware most waterjet cutters are quite small, especially in comparison to the sizes of machinary available to laser cut steel.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

I think my templates will all be laser cut steel. Pretty reasonably priced and much more common than water jet cutting.