snowboard core in a ski??

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

snowboard core in a ski??

Post by guest »

well im new to the whole ski making scene and have a quick question. i was looking at snowboardmaterials.com and they said they have snowboard cores. so i was thinking would it be possible to buy two of thesse and trim the down to a ski core??
*ARMADA*

Post by *ARMADA* »

im not sure but i think since snowboards are wider the core is thinner.
J I B T H E S H I T
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

Snowboard cores are around 8-9mm thick in the middle. This would make a very soft ski. Our ski cores are around 11-12mm. The klown whackers have a thin (9mm) core and are very soft. Lots of fun in the right conditions, but not so good when it gets a little hairy.

also, the longest is only 172 cm.

kelvin
davide

Post by davide »

You can laminate a thin wood sheet on the top, to get a thicker core.
About the lenght, it is possibile to make the tip wood core, and then glue it to the main core. I did once, and it worked very well.

Dan did it for all his skis: www.birdos.com.
o2bjedi

Post by o2bjedi »

Yeah you could make a template, add another layer and cut out the ski. You're limited to only a few options as far as length on snowboardmaterials.
AndrewT

Post by AndrewT »

yA snowboards are shorter so it would be hard to get the right lengeth
Go skiing
hose-man

Post by hose-man »

I am using snowboard core for my first pair of skis. They will be for my son, so I figure that the softer flex will work in his favor. I didn't want to have to re-work the core profiling jig for the small skis so I decided to buy the core. $28 cheap. My press is about half done & I'm having a great time!
splat

Post by splat »

Snowboard cores will break down because they are flat over too much of the length of the ski. The ski needs to have a crown underfoot, from which weight and energy are dispersed along the length to the tip and tail. Using a snowboard core will cause the ski to collapse in the middle and give you a double cambered wave in the tips and tails. Straight up - no bueno.
hose-man

Post by hose-man »

I still think that it will be fine for a kids alpine ski. The boot/binding will create a platform & the tip & tail will flex from it just fine. I would bet you could get away with it for lighter weigh women too. I agree that the snowboard core is not the ticket for adult hard charging skis though. -J
o2bjedi

Post by o2bjedi »

This topic came to mind it would be fun (as a joke, side project) to get a cheap snowboard, from a swap or something and cut it into skis. I think Atomic did this a while back as one of the first pairs of twins. I was thinking of takng a jigsaw and copying the radius to cut our two skis. I'm just not sure how I would install the edges. Probably have to add a few layers of glass to the top. I dunno?