Igneous skis movie

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

endre

Igneous skis movie

Post by endre »

RoboGeek

Post by RoboGeek »

bummer.. it needs quicktime to play and I'm on linux. I'll have to try it in a while when I get on a 'doze machine
I used to be a lifeguard, but some blue kid got me fired.
powdercow

Post by powdercow »

Thanks for posting that. On the whole I think it provided more motivation than technical tips however there were a few interesting things I took away from it.

1. The whole idea of making the ski out of as much wood and as little fiberglass as possible appeals to me. I havea lot of 22 oz fiberglass laying around so I will be working with that for a while but it might be fun to experiment with lighter fiberglass weights and thicker cores to compensate.

2. They show the end of a core with a v shaped notch cut into it. I couldn't tell if this was the tail of the ski on one of the swallow tails that igneous makes or if that is how they join core and tipspacer. Anyone have any ideas?

3. At one point they show someone grinding away at a large metal plate. I assumed that is a mold since as far as I know iggy doesn't use any metal in their skis. If it is molding why shape the cassette that way?

Overall a great video, just trying to learn everything I can from it.
- Ben
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

powdercow wrote:Thanks for posting that. On the whole I think it provided more motivation than technical tips however there were a few interesting things I took away from it.

1. The whole idea of making the ski out of as much wood and as little fiberglass as possible appeals to me. I havea lot of 22 oz fiberglass laying around so I will be working with that for a while but it might be fun to experiment with lighter fiberglass weights and thicker cores to compensate.

2. They show the end of a core with a v shaped notch cut into it. I couldn't tell if this was the tail of the ski on one of the swallow tails that igneous makes or if that is how they join core and tipspacer. Anyone have any ideas?

3. At one point they show someone grinding away at a large metal plate. I assumed that is a mold since as far as I know iggy doesn't use any metal in their skis. If it is molding why shape the cassette that way?

Overall a great video, just trying to learn everything I can from it.
1) I think when they were talking about using more wood I don't believe it was referering to using less fiberglass. Instead, they are referring to using less plastic. I am currently on my 4th pair of iggies, so I've seen the progression the skis have gone thur. First pairs have PBT topsheet, ABS sidewalls, plastic tip and tail spacers. Then the sidewalls went to UHMW....and my last two pairs have had wood sidewalls, wood tipspacers, and wood topsheet. I believe this is what they are talking about.

I also know that they used to use both tri-axial and bi-axial glass, but now they pretty much use just triaxial. Both 22oz and 34oz (I believe).

2) Originally, I thought it was the tail. But after viewing it again, it appears the V-notch is actually at the tips of the skis

3) No metal in those skis, so I also believe he was doing something with their molds. don't know exactly what he was doing there either....
Last edited by iggyskier on Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hydrant71

Post by hydrant71 »

i believe he was grinding the pins/rivets on the lower cassette to the proper height. it appears that they use pins to maintain core alignment
during pressing. later in the video it shows the pins again when he is loading the core onto the cassette, the core slips in between the pins.

jason
kydan

Post by kydan »

RoboGeek wrote:bummer.. it needs quicktime to play and I'm on linux. I'll have to try it in a while when I get on a 'doze machine
Video Lan Player will solve all your audio/visual needs on Windows or Linux. Even broken files. If it is audio or video, VLC will play it.
RoboGeek

Post by RoboGeek »

Kaffiene played it - I just needed to d/l the file
I used to be a lifeguard, but some blue kid got me fired.
o2bjedi

Post by o2bjedi »

Anyone know how thick they make their cores? Those skis look really sharp and clean, I really dig the veneer.
SRP

Post by SRP »

There is an aluminum tail on the igneous skis now, maybe they where grinding that. I think Igneous makes some of the best skis I have ever been on. I am going to visit Parris at the factory in few weeks to see how there process works. It has been interesting to see the progression of there skis over the past nine years that I've been in the Jackson area.