New Snowboard/Ski Design Software Available

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

dante

New Snowboard/Ski Design Software Available

Post by dante »

Boardcrafter snowboard/ski design software is now finished and available for download for anyone who is interested. So far all the feedback I’ve received on it has been good. It is a Windows XP program.

Also I'm thinking of starting a community design library where people can freely upload and download reference shapes based on models offered by the major ski and snowboard vendors. If you'd be interested in participating shoot me a private message.

Thanks,

Dante
boardcrafter.com
RoboGeek

Post by RoboGeek »

I've tested it and its worth using. Think Snocad.. but developed to where its usable for more than just a profile.

I'd like to see a linux version.. but thats just geeky ol' me...

I haven't tested it with printers/plotters directly, but the output seems right. I'll have a full test this week off my HP4Plus

Nice software Dante!
I used to be a lifeguard, but some blue kid got me fired.
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

awesome. I will give it a try. when do you think printing/dxf exporting will be ready to go?
dante

printing/exportin

Post by dante »

awesome. I will give it a try. when do you think printing/dxf exporting will be ready to go?
Printing and dxf exporting are functioning now but require a registration key to be enabled. The software is set up to allow trial users to access all of the design functionality including the ability to save and share designs without a time limit on the trial version.

Printing and exporting is for more serious users who are going to make templates for their projects. For these users Boardcrafter Design has a lot more value because they are not simply doodling with shapes anymore –they are going to start building. So it’s with these users that I’m trying to recoup the development expense and maybe even make a little on the side.

I figured this would be the fairest approach for both the community and me. For $39 I can barely get two Kinko’s plots printed using CAD so I figure it’s a fair price because you can use your home printer. If you have any questions on any functions including printing and exporting let me know. I hope you find the program useful.

Dante
boardcrafter.com
plywood

Re: printing/exportin

Post by plywood »

i just downloaded it and tried things out. and i like it. easy to handle with quick results.
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
dbtahoe

Post by dbtahoe »

They could probably make a version for any OS depending on the tool they used to built it with. My guess is that it's built like snoCAD (a flash application).

I recently helped the snoCAD guys recover their code and they are looking for feedback on how to go forward.

http://www.grafsnowboards.com/phpbb2/vi ... .php?t=759
If you have an idea for snoCAD, I will be happy to pass it along.

Either way, I think that it's great there are more design tools coming out.
dante

No Flash plugin needed

Post by dante »

My guess is that it's built like snoCAD (a flash application).
Hi Doug,

I’m not sure if you’ve checked out the program yet but it does not use Flash. So supporting other operating systems is unfortunately not a simple change. Hopefully the advantages of the program and using a more traditional programming language make up for it. I agree about more tools being better and I’m excited about the momentum of the ski and snowboard builder’s community. The more people involved with breaking down the barriers the better.

Dante
boardcrafter.com
billl

Post by billl »

dante, I've just downloaded your program and it seems really good. My only concern is with the ability to design more elaborate profiles than just a camber and a tip/tail radius... With things like early rise/rocker/reverse camber etc becoming more and more prominent in powder ski design this is quite limiting.
Maybe something for you to consider for a future release.

billl
billl

Post by billl »

also, swallowtail design doesn't seem to work very well... The only way I've found to do it is by setting positive x1 and x2 values in the bezier option but then the board length doesn't get updated and the profile retains the original dimensions...

again not a criticism (the program is great), just feedback for future releases
billl
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

yeah, I agree the program is awesome and I may just up to the home printing option soon. As Bhill said, it would be nice to have both a tip/tail rocker option, and even more so than that an option to alter the sidecut in more locations than the tip/waist/tail. Really want to make something similar to an ARG or Lotus 138 (like 135/145/143/144/125). If it could do that, I would pay for it in a second :D
dante

Thanks

Post by dante »

Thanks for the input. I'll get it added to the dev list for v2. I'd like to have all enhancements done in batches since it's cheaper that way. In the mean time I'll see what kind of workarounds there might be.
boardcrafter.com
G-man

Post by G-man »

I haven't been able to download the software yet. I have 3 Macs and an older PC at home, but my wife will return with her new Windows laptop tomorrow. I'll check out the new program then. Sounds great.

dbtahoe wrote:
If you have an idea for snoCAD, I will be happy to pass it along.
Any chance for a Mac version? Thanks.

G-man
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

post as soon as you add the ability to alter the sidecut to create a shape like 135/145/143/144/125 and I will send you a check :D
davidhowland14

Post by davidhowland14 »

I'd appreciate a mac version, as well.
Thunderbolt - 3/12/07
NVirus

Post by NVirus »

I am having difficulty opening the site. It seems to be down or I have a problem on my end. Anyone else getting this?