Crud skiing

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Cadman

Crud skiing

Post by Cadman »

I was out last weekend on a 178 homemade cap skis with a slight early rise in the tip only. I noticed the tip felt kind of loose and liked to search around. It didn't give you that confidence that it was going to go where you wanted it to go. The ski was freshly tuned with nice edge hold. It is a somewhat soft tip and tail. It was that good old Northwest crud (kind of chunky) and I got thrown around pretty good in it. The other people I was skiing with had skis with alot of metal in them and were not having too bad a time. The ski has about a good inch and a quarter between the skis when you put them back to back. I would say that was quite a bit of camber.

What kind of tip flex and shape do you think is required for a good crud ski. I am thinking a more firm but maybe thinner tip would deflect less. Any opinions here?
Idris

Post by Idris »

I have a few pairs with early rise tip. I've found that the thick relatively stiff tipped ones float just a well as the thin soft ones.
But they are way more stable at speed and feel like a battleship in crud.
They also get a few surprised looks in late afternoon when you can ignore the bumps on the home run and just carve a trench at will :)
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

you talking about thick slush on a warm day?

snowboard wise, i notice most boards only get better in this stuff. Alot slower though, my only gripe with the crud is finding a good wax that will keep the board fast for more than like 2 runs
Doug
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

ha, we were just up at Crystal on Sunday skiing in the crud on our homemade skis, talking about the very same thing! The crud was pretty hard in places still, not very slushy.

But the skis we were on were our powder skis, that are completely reverse camber, very little sidecut, stupid wide, and very very soft.
Cadman

Post by Cadman »

Crystal is a pretty good place to test skis since we get just about every kind of snow known to man, sometime in the same day! With over 7 feet of snow in the past couple of weeks, we had a good chance to test skis in
all of it. If you can build a ski that does reasonably well in most of the conditions that we get, you could probably sell quite a few of them.

My goal is to have a press in Greenwater one of these days and start
having some fun building prototypes.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Cadman wrote: My goal is to have a press in Greenwater one of these days and start
having some fun building prototypes.
Spent many a day and night getting wasted in Greenwater. Naches Tavern and crazy cabin nights.