Kaweah: rubber, aluminum, steel, glass, and wood

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

this message is from Breid19 -- i moved it:

Hi Kam,

Great looking skis. I just finished my first pair (will post some pics if I can figure out how) with the following lay up

clear p-tex top
fabric
24 oz triaxial glass
maple core
24 oz triaxial glass
vdf rubber over edges
ptex base

These skis came out quite soft but still skied quite well on the soft stuff. I did notice some plowing (excessive ski flex) in crud.

Kam, how did you get all the air bubbles out from below the top sheet?

Does anyone know where to get titanal in north america? Is this typically used in race/hard pack skis or is it also used in powder skis?

I'm now looking to stiffen the next pair but am unsure if I should use more glass, increase the profile thickness or use some strips of carbon. Any suggestions?

thanks

bill
thetradwoodboat

Post by thetradwoodboat »

davide, great to hear about the damping plate stuck to the ski, can't wait to try it. i was thinking about weights on the tips and or rubber double stick taped on also. simple reversible experiments like this i think will be worth- while.
powdercow

Post by powdercow »

Having seen these skis in action I can attest to both their softness and dampness.
We (Kams friends, Weezer and I) would wait at the top of a pitch while Kam skied down and setup video. The whole time people would be making comments like “look at those things flex” and “they look almost liquid”. We all finally agreed that the Kaweahs “slither”. It wasn’t uncommon to see them with two or three inflection points simultaneously as they absorbed the hard under layer at Snowbird.
- Ben
blair.s

Graphics

Post by blair.s »

What material did you print the graphics on? Are they as opaque as they look in the photo (can you see through to the wood core very easily)?