Converting compressor to vacuum

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Thisisjon

Converting compressor to vacuum

Post by Thisisjon »

Ive been browsing the forums and Ive decided to make a vacuum press because it is somewhat cheaper.

The only thing I need is a.. vacuum, obviously. Since every air compressor has the capability of making a vacuum, has anyone tried converting an electric bike pump into a vacuum?

Also, to keep from running the vacuum during the entire process, couldnt you just add a valve between the bag and the vacuum, and then seal off the bag?
dbtahoe

Post by dbtahoe »

This is what you need. Maybe not all of the parts shown, but it will give you some good information.

http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/welcome.htm

I've been thinking about buiding a press as well and I would be curious to hear what people have to say about cost. The vacuum system is less expensive up front but the cost to produce a ski is more.
Thisisjon

Post by Thisisjon »

will that work with a basic bike pump? it doesnt have a tank or anything.
hafte

Post by hafte »

Here is a bit more on the same equipment. cost for me was ~$160.00, but you will run into added costs of the consumable items i.e. bag film, release ply, peel ply, breather ply, etc. One nice thing about the vacuum setup is its small, light weight and easy to move around.

http://www.joewoodworker.com/catalog/pr ... ts_id=1682

The electric bike pump may not produce a sufficient volume of air to make the venturi work efficiently.

Other folks have found vacuum pumps on ebay for under $100.00. Do a search there is quit a bit of info about vacuum equipment.

Hafte