Silk Screening Graphics?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Skierguy

Silk Screening Graphics?

Post by Skierguy »

In looking into different options for adding graphics to our skis I began a conversation with a co-worker whom has ties to a silk screener. Does anyone have any experience with silk screening graphics onto fabric prior to laying up? I assume the process will be similar to an iron-on (discussed in another post), but wanted to float some of my questions out for comment.

A few of the questions I have: Will the silk screen bleed when saturated with epoxy? Will it prevent the epoxy from saturating the material resulting in a poor bond? Will UV damage the silk screen? Or if anyone has any other comments…

Thanks

Ben
That was one of my more spectacular Da Dunt, Da Dunts� Aaron McGovern �Focused
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

Ben:

have you looked at this yet for ideas?

http://www.skibuilders.com/articles/scr ... ting.shtml
LordGlassbot

Post by LordGlassbot »

Should you print onto a fabric or directly on the topsheet material?
Skierguy

Post by Skierguy »

Kam,

First of all thanks for all the work you guy’s have done and the info that you have shared. I have read the article on screen printing and it is an option I am defiantly considering. However I was thinking that more consistent (and possibly more complex) graphics are possible with a professional silk screening process. I work with someone that has a side business screening T-Shirts, Sweat Shirts, ect. I was thinking that I may be able to have him screen a logo, graphic or name on to fabric prior to the lay up of skis. In hind-sight I assume it will have very similar reaction to the screening process detailed in your article.

Thanks

Ben
hafte

Post by hafte »

Skierguy, be very cautious about what you put on the glass fabrics. There is a water based finish on the glass that makes it so the epoxy will saturate it well. Water or water based colors will affect the glass negatively. Other screening solutions make a build up on the material which could cause de-lamb issues in my view.

Do the screen printing after the ski is done and clear coat with acrylic spay paint. I do this on ink pin lines on my surf boards and it works well.

Or use paper inlays under the topsheet.

And after all that I remembered this.
http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.c ... st=9771694

Hafte
Skierguy

Post by Skierguy »

Thanks Hafte,

I was planning on screening onto a colored silk or a light weight flannel fabric that would add color to the top of the ski. I had not thought about screening directly to the glass layer. My concern though still is that the silk screening process may prevent a good bond during the lay up and cause de-laminations.

P.S. I was not able to open the link but will try when I get home.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Hey guys,
Here is my two cents worth. I would stay away form silk screening. At least the type I have seen and used. I relate silk screening to our duty shirts at work. We incorporated a new logo on the back and it is very large and red. When the warm weather hits you feel the sweat build up on your back. If you turn the shirt inside out you will notice that the silk screen is only on the outside and not through the material. Consider also that when the shirt is worn the screen materinal has a tendancy to peel in some cases and I would be very bumed out if this was to cause a delam problem. Any way if you try it and it works, please let us all know! The only true test is to try.
Well maybe that was three cents...
RA