questions on multy function press

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

alta pow skier

questions on multy function press

Post by alta pow skier »

hey, Im new hear and I am really like this site.
I am planning on making a press and I have a few questions.
#1 I plan on using my press as multifunctioning press that will press my skis and also press longboards. I have made a long board press before but it was alot different design. I am not sure if the hose presser would be stong enough to push the edges of the board down. Because the long boards I like to make differ from skis because they not only bending longway but also sideways. It creates better grip for your feet.
#2 Is there wide enough hoses to press a foot wide board or do you use two hoses at a time?
#3 I was wondering about extendable molds for different size skis.

Those are the questions I can think up right now and will probable have more questions. If you can help me in any way I would apriciate it. ;)
-> leo wrote this <-
endre

Post by endre »

I do this. it works great if you have a large hose. Just take the cattrack out and your press is ready for the concave of a longboard.
My hose is 48cm wide when flat, so it works great
plywood

Post by plywood »

wohou, 48cm wide? what a monsterhose!

i had nearly the same problem as you... making longboards also crossed my mind a few weeks ago (actually i do just slalomskateboards and there i got a different press design). but i didn`t found a good solution for concave either...unless you use such a wide hose like endre, which is kind of hard to find....

the problem with two small hoses is, that you become a gap between the hoses...how to fill the space between the hoses?that`s the point where i didn`t found a good solution. some kind of flexible cattrack? well...then you had to be really carefull to get the needed equal pressure between the hoses and on the borders...
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
endre

Post by endre »

you can also make a double mould, make one side, then cast the other one in plaster with layers of cork to simulate the board thickness.

it's a 12 inch hose, comes from "Mandals reberbane", in Mandal, Norway.
the name of the hose is kind of funny: "12 inch ultraman" '

http://www.mandals.no/
BigG

Post by BigG »

What's the price of such a hose?

Geoff
plywood

Post by plywood »

yeee, the double mould...of course this would be a solution, but somehow i believe that there is an easier way.... your monster-hose would be great! :D so you could just order 2m of it, or did you have to buy 20m?
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
endre

Post by endre »

I got a girl I know with a cute voice to call them and ask for the "12 inch ultraman", they gave us 3m. Normaly I don't think they sell that short pieces, but they had some leftovers. It normaly costs somewhere near 100$/m.