Just a few press questions

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Skierguy

Just a few press questions

Post by Skierguy »

We are getting down the final stages of building our press (my brother and I) and have a few questions before finishing it up. First, what dimension are most people leaving between the lower and upper molds to allow for fire hose and the ski? And… Given the chance is there any thing you would change about your press design?

Our press is designed to be side loading similar to the Kingswood press with swinging intermediate supports. The majority of it is welded up, with just a few minor details before we cut the last pieces and bolt it up. I am just looking for final input before completing the press. I can't wait to begin pressing skis.
That was one of my more spectacular Da Dunt, Da Dunts� Aaron McGovern �Focused
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Figure in the base and top mold, hose thickness and any track if you are using one. then add a bit to make it easy to insert and extract the mold. One thing I have noticed on my mold is the hose takes a while to get flat when deflating it, so an extra inch may help. Oh yeah, the dimension of the projected ski....
RA
Skierguy

Post by Skierguy »

Thanks Rockakum,

I guess that's what I was asking. So an extra inch, in addition to the above mentioned factors (Top and bottom mold, track, and fire hose ...) to allow removal of the ski as the hose deflates.

It's great that we can all benefit from the combine experiences of the people on this forum.

P.S. Thanks for the Fire Hose it was great to meet you. You have a great set up. Have you had a chance to press a ski yet?
That was one of my more spectacular Da Dunt, Da Dunts� Aaron McGovern �Focused
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

I plan on pressing this Sunday with my son(s).
Keep in mind how big the hose will get once it is inflated (5"). It is my belief that using a track system you would not need the hose to lay completely flat on the track / ski. because the track will even out the pressure applied. That said, You would not want too big of a space and only have a small portion of the inflated hose applying pressure on the track. This may cause the hose to roll on the track and possibly cause a shift in the ski materials.
If I rework my press I would make it wider to accomidate the two sections of hose (so they do not overlap), and also make it taller so my mold will slide in easier. As it was I had to cut down the tip portions in order to get the mold to slide in under the hose and track system.
RA