Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kublai -- I-Beam Style Ski Press
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Equipment and Tools (e.g., ski press, core profiler, etc)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G-man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't get much more slick than that. Great job.

G-man
bigKam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

earlier this week i corresponded with jason (hydrant71), asking him about the value of the spring constant for the coils he used in his press design. in lieu of a number, he left me with his secret: 13" long door springs available at Lowes or HD. armed with this information i immediately raided a local Lowes and HD for all their springs -- i acquired the needed 14 springs, $2.5/each (i cut each spring in half, giving a total of 28 springs, approx. 6" long). on my way out of one store i picked up two 6-feet long galvanized angle steel with pre-punched holes, hoping they would come in handy. i was not disappointed:

now satisfied with the mechanical system, i switched into electronics and control systems mode to finish the heater. Ebay is a nice place to shop --for about $50 i'm a proud new owner of a controller and solid state relay. i put in about $30 more to buy misc parts that include a couple switches, wires, etc. below is the assembled system. the last photo shows a test run where the controller nicely brings the temperature of the blanket to 175F. it all works like a charm!

Last edited by bigKam on Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
hydrant71

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clean, clean as a whistle. can't wait to blow up your pm inbox with
1,000 questions about controllers and ssr's this summer. Very Happy

jason
double.diamond

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry... i've been looking around the site... i'm thinking of building a pair soon...

whats the cattrack do? and I noticed in one of the pictures that when the hose was inflated there were lare gaps between the hose and the mold where the mold curves up... how did you make sure the ski got pressed there?

sorry if these are stupid questions...

edit: never mind- i looked around on some other thread and found the answer
futurexrockstar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigKam wrote:
obviously, i'm more excited about working on Kublai than devoting weekend time to my day job -- yes, i'm one of those work-alot-people... i have to just to maintain buoyancy.

i assembled the mold, cattrack, and hose. here are two photos of Kublai at 50 psi:

again, i'll write up an article describing the press, as well as a method for layup. stay tuned...

hello
what the length and width of metal girder?
threeninethree

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigKam,

How did you secure the top mold to the top beams?

Is it hanging by the springs as is the hose and cat track?

thanks,
Matt
bigKam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The metal girder is about 18" wide and around 7' long

To secure the mold, I used a two threaded rods, a few nuts, and made a securing cross member out of wood. I drilled the mold in two places (holes much larger than the rods), pounded nuts into the wood from the bottom side, then threaded the rods as shown. The cross member rested on the I-beam flanges. I hope this sketch helps:

threeninethree

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thanks for the sketch it helped out. I was going to put some holes in my beam flanges, but your approach is better.

Thanks
coutureskis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any possibility that you could post a scimatic of your entire control system for the heating element, including positive and negative wires, and where they all connect?

I just built a press and am trying to install the heater... yet having a little bit of a hard time with the wiring.

I believe My control components are very similar to yours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Equipment and Tools (e.g., ski press, core profiler, etc) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: