First ski design feedback and questions

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

michelounet

First ski design feedback and questions

Post by michelounet »

Hi,

This is my first ski design and I would like to have your feedback as well as answers to a few questions.
Screenshot from 2023-10-07 20-40-50.png
Screenshot from 2023-10-07 20-40-50.png (29.14 KiB) Viewed 658 times
The narrowest point is set at 55% of the effective edge (so 55% 0f 1620 mm). Does this makes sense?

Regarding the core profiling: where should the flat section be and where should it be centered (exact center of ski, center of the core or narrowest point)? How long should it be?

Thanks in advance for your help
Jonrezz

Re: First ski design feedback and questions

Post by Jonrezz »

I'm making a few assumptions - one main one being that it's an all-mountain resort type ski because of the medium-wide midsection.

Your narrowest point setback is further back than I'd place it personally for an all mountain cruiser, but your design might be good if you're leaning more towards a frontside carver or have a more 'traditional' stance preference. for reference, a race skis mount point may be placed at the 60% position using your metric, or a progressive all mountain ski would be more around 53% (or ~50mm setback). Generally speaking, more forward would give easier turn-in and release, but be less stable at high speeds. Vice versa for a more aft boot mount.

as far as the core profile - I always center it around the boot center - usually a 400mm boot pad extending 200 forward and 200 back, but again this isn't really a 'rule' per say, and the size/location of the 'pad' would directly impact the stiffness. Compared to an even flex profile, a stiff front / soft tail would give a quicker "bite" or turn in and tend to release easily, vice versa will result in a vague turn in and it would tend to "run straight" on turn exit.
michelounet

Post by michelounet »

Thanks Jonrezz!

Yes for the first one I was going for an all-mountain.

Might not be 100% clear with terminology, therefore forgive me. So the mount mount is equal to the narrower point? where your boot would be centered?

Also when you mention the % is of the full length or (in my case) the core (1620 mm)?
Jonrezz

Post by Jonrezz »

sure! boot would be centered on the narrowest part of the ski yeah, and % of the running length (not including tip & tail)