Waxless base/“embedded” skins

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

feldybikes

Waxless base/“embedded” skins

Post by feldybikes »

Hey skibuilders forum! It’s a been a minute, but I’m trying to get back into it.

I’ve contemplated making some skis with a waxless base for some time. But I don’t know anywhere to purchase that material. Searching these forums, it doesn’t sound like anyone else does either. I tried emailing Voile since the manufacture in the US and would have raw material in the country, but unsurprisingly wouldn’t sell me any. (To their credit, I did still get a swift reply.)

I’ve seen stuff on people making a negative pattern by milling scallops into the base, but it doesn’t seem like this works well enough to make it worthwhile.

The other thought I had was to do something that Ive seen more recently on waxless XC skis where there’s a skin embedded into the base. Has anyone tried this? Any thoughts on how deep to make it? Measuring the thickness of a skin isn’t very precise since they’re squishy. Any thoughts on how/if to permanently glue them in? Obviously how wide/how long to balance grip va glide is another consideration and may take considerable trial and error.
TimmyK

Re: Waxless base/“embedded” skins

Post by TimmyK »

Hello,

How is your project progressing, have there been any developments ?
My website : It's not for dogs