core profiling

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

mmeyran

core profiling

Post by mmeyran »

I know this topic has probably been raised in the forum, but hoping to get some input on core profiling.I can't seem to get over the hump profiling full core through the planer on a sled. I am pouring urethane sidewalls, leaving about 3 inches of wood beyond the tip and tail, and using double sided carpet tape to attach to core to my planer sled. I run the sled through the planer on multiple passes, which goes really well, but eventually the ends chip out...
Any tips on how I can avoid this???
skidesmond

Re: core profiling

Post by skidesmond »

I haven't been on in a while and saw this post. There's no perfect way to keep the tip or tail from chipping out as you get down to 2mm or less. I've has success with using hot glue along the edge of the wood core, just a few dabs to keep it from lifting up. When you get down to around 4mm take very light passes with the planer. Pay attention to the wood grain , sometimes running the wood grain in the wrong direction will cause more tear out than other times. hope this helps.
gozaimaas

Re: core profiling

Post by gozaimaas »

The long term solution is stop using a planer and start using a drum sander to profile cores and sidewalls.