Durasurf, group buy?

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

East_Coast_Style

Durasurf, group buy?

Post by East_Coast_Style »

ok. i live about 2 hours away (if that) from the Crown Plastics Plant here in ohio, the guys who produce durasurf. if anyone is interested in getting a group buy together, let me know. 300m is the minimum order. also, UHMW sidewalls can be purchased and cut from large sheets (not sure on the min. order there, prolly a large 48"x90" sheet or something). if anyone wants some decent prices on stuff like that, especially the sidewalls, let me know, we can make it happen. plus, shipping to our shop would be MUCH cheaper than trying to ship the huge rolls anywhere else.
hafte

Post by hafte »

If we can get enough people I'll play.

What kind of prices are you looking at for the base material? That will determine how much I will be aloud to buy.

Are we limited to one style or color?

Thanks

Hafte
hafte

Post by hafte »

Sorry for the double post. I didn't think it went the first time.
G-man

Post by G-man »

Hey guys,

Wow, what a difference a year has made. When I ordered from Crown Plastics last December, they were very open to accepting minimum orders of 10 meters, so I ordered about a hundred meters of mixed stuff, 10 meters each. I tried to call them today, and I can't get hold of a real person to ask them what the deal is with the 300 meter minimum order.

I am certainly interested in a group buy, but I won't really be needing more material for about 3 months. One of the problems with buying a lot of material for inventory is that the dyne level of the surface treatment (flame treating) degrades over time. I don't know at what rate this happens because, as I've indicated in other posts, it's really difficult to get a good dyne level reading on abraded material. It's likely that the first indicator of a declining surface tension would be increasing delamination problems. It's possible to 'bump treat' the material to bring the dyne level back up, but that would require some pretty sophisticated equipment.

I certainly don't want to hi-jack the current effort to get a group buy together, but like I said, I'd be more ready to participate in about 3 months. However, I'll watch how the current effort progresses, and I may end up changing my mind for one reason or another and get in on this one.

Does anyone know why Crown changed their minimum order policy? Could it be that there have been too many small builders calling to order material? That would be a bummer. I'm hearing more and more stories about how raw materials for skis and snowboards are getting harder and harder to get because so much is going to China.

I guess my biggest question is the same as one of hafte's, and that is whether or not the 300 meter minimum applies to one specific material/color of material, or can materials be mixed to get to the 300 meter mark.

Thanks,

G-man
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

Are they still selling manufacturer overstock base material or not? The last buy I made in July for base and topsheet material went smoothly with overstock stuff from Burton, so if that option is gone that is a real bummer. If anyone knows any more on this purchase option please post, otherwise I'll find out and post in the beginning of January when I get back to Madison. --Geoff
team08

Post by team08 »

300m orders are required for new runs of material. They still sell off roll ends. New material is $6-7/m, and ends are roughly $2-3.
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

We put in an order a couple weeks ago and haven't heard back from them. They are a bit slow and I'm hoping it is just from the holiday backlogs and not because they are tired with dealing with small orders. Usually they are pretty good.

We have been working hard in the background here and will be selling materials from this website soon (2-3 weeks). At first, it will be most basic stuff (fiberglass, base, edges...) and hope to expand soon. Honestly, there is no way we can compete in prices if you ordered direct, but we will provide great customer service, and also make it easier to get your materials from one place. In the future we're hoping to offer special colors/runs of materials, tools, and more services (cnc, printing,..) all catering to the homebuilt crowd. We are very excited about this and hope to keep this hobby growing.

-kelvin
Mart

Post by Mart »

It is going to be a very good thing to have another supplier than SBM for all the basic elements. Their products are alright, but their never seem to be able to have everything in stock all at once. They are also kind of slow for shipping.

I hope this new aspect of your skibuilders project will have as much success. Best of luck !!
Mart
powdercow

Post by powdercow »

If you wanted to build another one of those ring roller based edge benders I would be happy to compensate you for you time. Bending edges is giving me trouble right now (getting them smooth) and that thing looks like $$$$.
- Ben
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

I think I could make one for you. Let me look into it a bit more and let you know the details.

-kelvin
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

I would also be interested in seeing if I could get a modified ring roller from you.....don't have access to a metal lathe at the moment.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

I think it would be great to have you as an option for sales of products. After all, we get alot of free info from this site and why not start reeping some rewards.
I tried to order 150' of edge material from cdw and he said he would do it but was very reluctant and said it would take a L O N G time for shiping. Needless to say I went elseware.. Keep us posted on your supply and availability information.
rockaukum
Bucky Mullet

Post by Bucky Mullet »

Is there still a group buy option from durasurf? I'd be really interested in base and UHMW material for both sidewall and an element of a new pree I'm building.
rburgon

Post by rburgon »

I'm also interested in a group order for base, sidewall, and topsheet materials. I need materials for two pair of skis.

Thanks

rburgon
Jparker

Post by Jparker »

A letter I got from Crown Plastics:

We don't manufacture the 4001 on a regular schedule because it isn't often requested. 2001 is more common.

Actually, the minimum order on black, natural, white or clear is usually 50 meters. Special color runs have a minimum quantity of 300 meters. Prices range from $6.00 to $6.35 per meter. Occasionally we'll have a roll or two of base or tip & tail or excess sidewall boards (in these colors) on the shelf -- but not often.

There is a list of excess base materials that was recently updated. It is attached. These rolls have to be purchased "as-is" (whole roll, with or without defect). If you find a roll on the list that interests you, email me the roll number and I'll respond with information regarding the roll's condition and availability. These sell for $2.00 per meter.
There are LOTS of end rolls in strange colors of more then 100 feet on the list he sent me, I can email a PDF to anyone interested if they PM me. Not so many in smaller lengths or normal colors (lots of tan and light blue). All I really want is around 15 meters of black for now, and I want the 4001 so I'll ask about a couple of the shorter end rolls and see what they have to say.

Maybe a group buy of 50 meters of black/clear? I can order, split and ship from Montana.

What are you guys waiting on for the store Kelvin?