thoughts on wood tip filler

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

nOtyRmOm123

thoughts on wood tip filler

Post by nOtyRmOm123 »

idk this is my second build and wooden veneer sounded like it could work for tip filler-dont want anymore delmas as the first build kept doing it even after heat treating and such.
Dr. Delam

Re: thoughts on wood tip filler

Post by Dr. Delam »

It's definitely feasible. I have done it with some tails that didn't have that much curve. It's just a matter of getting your thickness to the right dimensions and not going too thick for the given tip radius. If you are doing veneers, you can go with more than one layer and also add layers of fiberglass to get it dialed.

It just gets a little tricky and time consuming getting it all together with multiple layers. I have stapled it all together after applying epoxy to keep it tight to the core and keep from shifting.
mattman

Post by mattman »

Dr Delam, what staples do you like?
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

I just use regular staples that are in a paper stapler. I tried my pneumatic one once on some scrap core and it blew it apart. I use firm but slow pressure on the stapler and it works well. You just need to be precise on placement if your sidewalls are narrow to keep it outside the edge.